https://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/103483-sdlx_analysis_discrepancy_help_please.html

SDLX - Analysis discrepancy - help please?
Thread poster: Angela Dickson (X)
Angela Dickson (X)
Angela Dickson (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:55
French to English
+ ...
Apr 29, 2008

I was recently sent a job in the form of a .itd file, which I exported to .ttx and translated in TagEditor. I had a spat with the agency before starting, as they claimed the 3000-word text contained 1000 words of repetitions, and my analysis only showed 2% repetitions. I performed the analysis in Trados and asked a friend to analyse it in SDLX for me, and we both got approximately the same result (2% of the text was repeated).

I asked the agency for the log file, and it contained th
... See more
I was recently sent a job in the form of a .itd file, which I exported to .ttx and translated in TagEditor. I had a spat with the agency before starting, as they claimed the 3000-word text contained 1000 words of repetitions, and my analysis only showed 2% repetitions. I performed the analysis in Trados and asked a friend to analyse it in SDLX for me, and we both got approximately the same result (2% of the text was repeated).

I asked the agency for the log file, and it contained the following settings for analysis:

Old Files:
Selected : 0

Translation Memories:
No translation memories selected.

Translation Memory Options:
- Minimum Match Value: n/a
- Context Mismatch Penalty: 0%
- Filter Mismatch Penalty: 1%
- Using Target Language: n/a
- Delete Existing Translations: Yes

Autopropagation Options:
- Enabled: Yes
- Minimum Match Value: 75%

Cross File Repetitions:

Automatch Options:
- Dates: Yes
- Numbers: Yes
- Acronyms: Yes

General Options:
- Word Count Algorithm: Alternative
- Hide Number Segments: Yes
- Segmentation Rules: Default

This is more for my own curiosity than anything else, as the job is now done and I agreed to their terms - but what could account for the discrepancy in the analyses? What does a minimum match value of 75% mean in practice? And could there be a crucial difference between SDLX and Trados which would account for this disagreement?

many thanks. Incidentally, I am using Trados 7.1.0.719 (Build 719).
Collapse

Philippe Etienne
Philippe Etienne  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 16:55
English to French
Maybe the beginning of an explanation Apr 29, 2008

http://www.proz.com/forum/business_issues/100550-trados_billing-819242.html?post_id=819242#819242

Philippe

Angela Dickson (X)
Angela Dickson (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:55
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thanks Apr 30, 2008

Thanks Philippe but in practice what does this mean? If I were using SDLX would the >75% matches be propagated as though they were 100% matches, thus making it appear that 1/3 of the text was repeated? When I translated the text in Trados there didn't seem to be nearly that many matches (I'd have expected them to pop up as I worked).

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

SDLX - Analysis discrepancy - help please?

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »