localising times to a.m./p.m. rather than caps
Thread poster: Anthony Green

Anthony Green  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 19:23
Italian to English
May 1, 2008

Hi everyone. I use Workbench 7.5.0.756
It would be really nice to be able to get the output for times as a gentle "a.m." in lower case rather than a shouting "AM" upper case. As I quite often translate times, this point is just one of those little time-wasters that gets sooo annoying after the 50th time...
I understand where to make the changes in Translation Memory Options, but the string tt produces the capital letter form.

Does anyone know a way of getting Workbench to produce that lower-case output, or do I have to carry on doing a mass Search and Replace in Word?
Any other tips would be welcome
Anthony

Direct link Reply with quote

Anna Sylvia Villegas Carvallo
Mexico
Local time: 12:23
English to Spanish
Workbench May 1, 2008

FILE > MAINTENANCE > FIND & REPLACE > FIND WHAT: > REPLACE WITH:

I guess you might have sometimes accepted upper case, especially in the beggining of your TM. This could be one reason.

Replace them all on your TM, and try again on Word.

Italy
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
half a solution May 1, 2008

Thanks Tadzio

This does cure the problem to a certain extent but then I come up against this problem: when the source is:

h. 09:00 – 11:00

my TM gives me this

09:00 a.m. - 1:30 p.m.

(where incidentally the TU contains only 9:00 a.m. - 1:30 p.m. so for some reason Workbench has added a zero...)

Any solutions anyone?

Anthony

Mexico
English to Spanish
This is an issue of "fuzzy matches" May 1, 2008

Correct the new segment (yellow) and click "Set/Close Next Open/Get" until next matches get the right time (green).

Mexico
English to Spanish
Or... May 1, 2008

Delete the first "h".

Astrid Elke Witte  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
Sorry, can't resist asking.... May 1, 2008

Tadzio, what happens to times with the hours of 11 and 12 if you delete the first "h"?

Mexico
English to Spanish
Astrid May 1, 2008

Try it. Nothing happens to the hour, but seconds change. I don't know why!

Italy
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
nothin to do with Workbench! May 2, 2008

Tadzio's screenshot set me thinking that the solution to my problem is not in Trados, but in Control Panel - Regional Settings - Time, where I changed AM to a.m.

Simple isn't it? Perhaps Trados could include this in their manual... It would make things so much easier...

Mexico
English to Spanish
In fact, Trados does...! May 2, 2008

Anthony Green wrote:
Perhaps Trados could include this in their manual... It would make things so much easier...

Dates
Calendar type: shows which calendar type is being used by the target language. The information in this box is determined by the regional settings defined in the Windows setup for the target language of your translation memory. In the case of multilingual translation memories, Translator's Workbench can switch calendar types during translation if necessary. This is especially useful for translation into languages that do not use the Gregorian Calendar, such as Japanese and Chinese.

I read this yesterday, but I didn't associated with your problem!! Why didn't I?? Don't ask.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

localising times to a.m./p.m. rather than caps

Advanced search

PDF Translation - the Easy Way
TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation.

TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation. It also puts your translations back into the PDF to make new PDFs. Quicker and more accurate than hand-editing PDF. Includes free use of Infix PDF Editor with your translated PDFs.

More info »
WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search