https://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/103751-create_tm_content_from_table.html

Create TM Content From Table
Thread poster: Owen Witesman
Owen Witesman
Owen Witesman
Local time: 02:56
Finnish to English
+ ...
May 2, 2008

I have a two-column spreadsheet (xls) that I want to turn into TM content automatically. So in one column is my source and in the other the target. Anybody know how to do this without too much trouble?

Sylvain Leray
Sylvain Leray  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:56
Member (2003)
German to French
Creating TM from an Excel file May 2, 2008

Maybe this topic or the topic which is linked in it will help you.

Sylvain

[Modifié le 2008-05-02 13:18]

Oscar Martin
Oscar Martin
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
Create tm content from table May 2, 2008

Hi,

There are two ways:
1. You can use PlusToyz (http://www.geocities.com/avvysotsky/PlusToyz.zip), which is a .doc file (with macros) that converts Excel Workbook into Trados file.
2. You can download XBench from
... See more
Hi,

There are two ways:
1. You can use PlusToyz (http://www.geocities.com/avvysotsky/PlusToyz.zip), which is a .doc file (with macros) that converts Excel Workbook into Trados file.
2. You can download XBench from http://www.apsic.com/en/products_xbench.html.
- Install the software and create a new project (File > New).
- Save the excel as tab .txt file. And add it to XBench as tab txt file.
- Go to Tools > Export items. In the output section, select the tmx format, insert the filename and language codes in the bottom.
Advantages:
- It is free
- XBench provides a unified and convenient view of the bilingual information, which can be prioritized by the user as required.
- You can create projects in which you upload very different sources: tabbed text files, MS glossaries, Exported Trados memories, XML trados multiterm glossaries, TMCX memories, .doc, .itd, .ttx bilingual files, etc.
- Xbench also features powerful Quality Assurance features, to check for consistency, numeric values and more.

Oscar
Collapse

Owen Witesman
Owen Witesman
Local time: 02:56
Finnish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thanks! May 2, 2008

Thanks. I ended up just creating two docs, one with one column, and then using WinAlign, but I'll definitely check out the links you sent.

Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
PlusToyz.doc by Aleksij Visotski does all this May 2, 2008

from within word (sorry for the unformatted output):

+Toyz v0.34
Move cursor to any macro name and double-click it
Analysis

Extended analysis in Wordfast
Counts TM matches and internal analogies within a document using Wordfast. To view internal analogies only, run this macro on an empty TM

Extended analysis in Trados
Counts TM matches and internal analogies within a document using Trados. Create a new TM or backup ex
... See more
from within word (sorry for the unformatted output):

+Toyz v0.34
Move cursor to any macro name and double-click it
Analysis

Extended analysis in Wordfast
Counts TM matches and internal analogies within a document using Wordfast. To view internal analogies only, run this macro on an empty TM

Extended analysis in Trados
Counts TM matches and internal analogies within a document using Trados. Create a new TM or backup existing TM - it will be changed during analysis

File Maintenance

BuildMasterDoc
Creates a master document containing all the files in directory specified. Name of resulting document is __Master.doc. Useful when performing search-replace or spellcheck over several dozens of documents

SourceTextOnly
Restores source text from segmented documents

Segmentation validity check
Checks Trados-like segmented file for segmentation errors.

Format conversions

Double-click the desired conversion, then open a document to convert. Before conversion, a backup copy with the same name and .BAK extension will be created.

Trados-like segmented text to Word table
Word table to Trados-like segmented text
Excel workbook to Trados-like segmented text
Wordfast TM to Trados-like segmented text
Trados TXT export to Word table
STAR Transit project to Trados-like segmented text and back
TTX (TagEditor) file to Trados-like segmented text and back

and if you REALLY want to see how to write the entries for global search and replaces between all those alternatives, the VBA code is open for every
Collapse

Olaf (X)
Olaf (X)
English to German
Yet another macro May 2, 2008

My simple macro http://www.proz.com/topic/98848?post_id=802906 might work, too.

Olaf

FarkasAndras
FarkasAndras  Identity Verified
English to Hungarian
+ ...
how advanced May 3, 2008

All I did was take a look at an exported TM, insert a couple of columns into my xls, type in the appropriate tags and text, copy/paste the whole thing to word and use search and replace to correct the format where it was needed. Then copy/paste the whole thing under the header of the export and done.

This requires a bit more elbow grease but you're in total control. E.g. you can insert data like source document name etc. I am having some encoding troubles tho.

I'll take
... See more
All I did was take a look at an exported TM, insert a couple of columns into my xls, type in the appropriate tags and text, copy/paste the whole thing to word and use search and replace to correct the format where it was needed. Then copy/paste the whole thing under the header of the export and done.

This requires a bit more elbow grease but you're in total control. E.g. you can insert data like source document name etc. I am having some encoding troubles tho.

I'll take a look at the suggested tools, thanks.
Collapse

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)
Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 15:56
English to Thai
+ ...
SDL maintain May 4, 2008

SDLX package has SDL Maintain that makes importing an Excel file or delimited file (e.g. cvs file) into a blank TM is quite easy.

Regards,
Soonthon L.

Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Correction: Arkadij Vysotsky May 4, 2008

is the name of the author of PlusToyz

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Create TM Content From Table

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »