How do I edit with a Translation Memory?
Thread poster: MBerrios
MBerrios
United States
Local time: 08:34
English to Spanish
+ ...
May 3, 2008

A client gave me a translation to edit. I received a TM and the respective documents, but I can't find the source text. Could someone please give me instructions? This is the first time I edit using Trados-TM and I don't know how to go about it. Thank you.

Direct link Reply with quote

Marinus Vesseur  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 05:34
English to Dutch
+ ...
Not so easy May 3, 2008

Hi

You're asking someone to tell you how to drive, when you've never driven before. I'm afraid it isn't that easy.

You do have Trados, do you? What is the document type? A little more info, please.

MBerrios wrote:

A client gave me a translation to edit. I received a TM and the respective documents, but I can't find the source text. Could someone please give me instructions? This is the first time I edit using Trados-TM and I don't know how to go about it. Thank you.

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 19:34
Member (2004)
English to Thai
+ ...
TMX editing May 4, 2008

I suppose that you have a translated *.doc file and a *.tmx TM.
You can edit this translation in 2 ways:
1. Refer to *.tmx file while editing [not so simple]
Or
2. Import *.tmx file into Multiterm or other termbase and search terms in termbase while editing [easier way].
Regards,
Soonthon L.

Vito Smolej
Germany
Local time: 14:34
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
Assuming you have a bilingual file ... May 4, 2008

go and download PlusToyz.doc

http://www.geocities.com/avvysotsky/PlusToyz.zip

Then create a two-column word file from the bilingual files provided. That will be for now - when you have to deliver, you can again use PlusToyz to create new bilingual version of the files.

Mulyadi Subali  Identity Verified
Indonesia
Local time: 19:34
English to Indonesian
+ ...
notepad May 4, 2008

you can use notepad to open the tm and edit it.
but since the client provide you with the file, i believe the client wants you to edit the file using the tm. cmiiw.

ViktoriaG  Identity Verified
Canada
English to French
+ ...
ApSic XBench should fix that easy May 4, 2008

How about you try ApSic XBench for this? You can get it here: http://www.apsic.com/en/products_xbench.html

What you can do is to create a project in XBench, import the TM you got from the client and reverse the language pair. When you come across a sentence you would like to see the source segment for, you just need to paste the sentence from the document into XBench's search field and the original source segment will come up.

Otherwise, Vito's suggestion may be just as useful, although it is a completely different method. I haven't used PlusToyz, but from its description, it seems to be a handy tool. I guess it's up to your personal logic from this point forward...

All the best!

Luisa Ramos, CT  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2004)
English to Spanish
Agree with Mulyadi May 4, 2008

I believe it is as simple as the client wants you to edit the file. If the source is nowhere you must have received a bilingual file, thus, the source is therein. So, open the TM, open the file, edit while updating the TM, save the bilingual, clean it producing a clean target file, export the TM, send everything to the client.

But above all and first of all, you need to read, learn, and practice before accepting jobs for which you are not prepared.

Owen owenfw
Local time: 06:34
Finnish to English
+ ...
You're good enough, smart enough, and gosh darn it, people like you. May 4, 2008

MBerrios wrote:

There's a first time for everything!

Are you sure they want you to do anything with the TM? When someone gives me a file to edit and no source text, I assume they just want me to look at the target language text. It is weird that they would give you the TM though...It may be that the file is bilingual. Assuming this is in Word, hitting Ctr+Shift+8 will display hidden text. Or I think just trying to activate Trados to step through the file would make it visible. But if it really isn't there, it shouldn't be you that has to spend the time to recreate the source, unless they're paying you extra to futz around with manipulating files. If they haven't given you what you need to do the work, you should ask them for the correct files. And if in doing so you reveal some ignorance, then join the crowd!

Good luck and keep your chin up.

MBerrios
United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you May 4, 2008

Thank you all for your help. I am obviously a TRADOS newbie, which is why I posted my question. It was a simple issue: the client failed to inform me that the bilingual text would only appear in specific parts of the translation- not in the entire document. That is why I could not find it when I looked at the first few pages.
Learning something new isn't always easy and I appreciate everyone's feedback. There are obviously many more things I need to learn and I plan on practicing everyone's advice so I can be better prepared in the future. Thank you again.

ViktoriaG  Identity Verified
Canada
English to French
+ ...
Sounds like proofreading to me May 4, 2008

This looks like a typical proofreading job - not editing. I have received job folders before that contained a target text and a TM only. This makes sense to me - if you are asked to proofread and not to edit.

Say you are proofreading a text and you come across a sentence you are not so sure about, the meaning of which eludes you. How do you know what was originally meant? If you have the TM handy, you can look up the source segment, which often gives you more than enough of a clue as to what the original meaning of the sentence was. You now have the means to correct that sentence accordingly.

I would check with the client what exactly they want me to do. And please remember that editing and proofreading are not at all the same service.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How do I edit with a Translation Memory?

Advanced search

BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search