Thread poster: Natalya Zelikova
Natalya Zelikova
Natalya Zelikova  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 06:15
English to Russian
+ ...
May 4, 2008

SDL Trados 2007, Windows Vista, MS Office 2007 (Word).
EXTREMELY slow working: (7 seconds) between closing a segment and opening the next one (both in 52000 units' TM with Multiterm and in 134 units' TM without Multiterm on a 1 page file).

What can be the problem?

[Edited at 2008-05-04 10:22]

Stanislav Pokorny
Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Computer specs May 4, 2008

Hi Natalya,
could you please provide us with some information on your computer specifications?

Natalya Zelikova
Poland
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Specifications May 4, 2008

IntelCore 2 Duo 6600 2.4GHz, RAM – 2047 Mb

Mulyadi Subali
Mulyadi Subali  Identity Verified
Indonesia
Local time: 12:15
English to Indonesian
+ ...
upgrade to sp2 May 4, 2008

some people posted speed improvement upon installing the sp2.

Owen Witesman
Owen Witesman
Local time: 23:15
Finnish to English
+ ...
Vista has been received quite poorly in general by the business community for reasons like this.... May 4, 2008

Natalya Zelikova wrote:

SDL Trados 2007, Windows Vista, MS Office 2007 (Word).
EXTREMELY slow working: (7 seconds) between closing a segment and opening the next one (both in 52000 units' TM with Multiterm and in 134 units' TM without Multiterm on a 1 page file).

What can be the problem?

[Edited at 2008-05-04 10:22]

Do some searching and you'll find this has been discussed quite a lot. IMHO, this combination just isn't acceptable (I understand that Word 2007 is the culprit) and there isn't a good workaround that allows you to still use 2007. Some people have seen an improvement with the service pack, but not all. Most people end up saying that you should just use TagEditor. Some run a dual-boot XP installation with 2003. And there is always Wordfast!

Ivana Kahle
Ivana Kahle  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2007)
German to Croatian
+ ...
Skip Word May 4, 2008

I had exactly the same problem and switched to Tag Editor, as some colleagues suggested. See my topic "Trados dead slow on Windows Vista".

Natalya Zelikova
Poland
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks May 4, 2008

So far I have switched to TagEditor, so thank you Ivana, it really works fine.
But I'll see if I should try to use Word 2003 again or upgrade to SP2.

Natalya Zelikova
Poland
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
No clean-up May 5, 2008

I have translated one *.doc file with TagEditor but when trying to clean it up I am now getting various errors (already discussed on ProZ) about not finding the original file, errors while creating *.doc file, etc. I have tried to save the file as rtf (as recommended), now the error is "no source tag for matching end tag". How can I find which tag I should insert and where and better how can avoid all these errors?

Thank you in advance.

[Edited at 2008-05-05 19:30]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

SDL Trados 2007 is too slow

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »