Unifying EN-GB + EN-US in Multiterm....?
Thread poster: Susanne Lomander
Susanne Lomander
Susanne Lomander  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 00:20
Swedish to English
+ ...
May 5, 2008

Hi!

I need to organize and unify some of my many different Multiterm termbases, and have a problem that I need some help with. My early termbases were created as bilingual termbases, using only two languages (English + Swedish or English + Spanish). Later on, I found I had to distinguish between UK and US English terms, so later termbases now used SWE + EN-GB plus EN-US (plus synonyms under each index).

Now I need to unify some of these termbases and create trilingual t
... See more
Hi!

I need to organize and unify some of my many different Multiterm termbases, and have a problem that I need some help with. My early termbases were created as bilingual termbases, using only two languages (English + Swedish or English + Spanish). Later on, I found I had to distinguish between UK and US English terms, so later termbases now used SWE + EN-GB plus EN-US (plus synonyms under each index).

Now I need to unify some of these termbases and create trilingual termbases using English, Swedish and Spanish. I would prefer to only use 3 languages and somehow join the En-GB and EN-US terms into one global ENGLISH index field, and perhaps use attribute fields to describe variations (eg REGION = UK or US).

This would make it easier for me to search and enter terms in all 3 languages simultaneously, but how do I go about it (and is it the most practical way to deal with UK + US English differences?).

Any and all practical suggestions greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
Collapse

AANTI
AANTI
Ukraine
Local time: 01:20
English to Russian
+ ...
adding the marks May 5, 2008

I organize my termbases that way- simply give two variants of English transaltions marking them BE (if it is British English variant) and AE (if it is American English variant). For example:
métro- subway AE
the underground BE

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Unifying EN-GB + EN-US in Multiterm....?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »