Export TM with only some attributes?
Thread poster: Cecilia Falk

Cecilia Falk  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:41
English to Swedish
May 7, 2008

Hi,
How can I export a Trados TM with only some of the attributes (there are several unimportant that I want to get rid of)? That is, I want to export ALL the segments regardless of attributes, but only keep some attributes.
Any tools that could be used?
Best regards,
Cecilia

Direct link Reply with quote

ViktoriaG  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 09:41
English to French
+ ...
You don't need a separate tool May 7, 2008

If you use Trados, you don't really need a separate tool - provided you used text fields or attribute fields.

If you did define and use fields, the process is pretty straightforward. When you start the export process and the Export dialogue is displayed, you can select fields on the left-hand side of the dialogue. When you select one of these fields, on the right-hand side, you can define what attribute of the field you want to use for exporting. For example, you can select the Created by attribute to the left and then click the Add button to the right. Then, you can enter your user name (if I remeber correctly, you need to type a * character before and after the string you enter - in my case, this would be *VIKTORIA*). This way, you will export only segments created by you. If you want to export all segments not created by you, then you need to add the user names of each other person having contributed to the TM. Generally, you specify what you do want to export. If you want to export only segments created by you on a certain date (that is, using two different attributes), you can specify the two attributes in the same export. But if you want to export both all segments created on X date and all segments created by you (that is, you want all segments for a certain date regardless of who created them and then all segments created by you regardless of the date), then you will need to do two export runs. So, you would start by exporting all segments for X date, and when that is done, you would start another export run for all segments created by you. Then, you can import the TM containing all your segments into the TM containing all segments for X date.

The best thing to do is to make a separate export for each attribute and then import them all into a brand new memory to combine them. This way, you are making sure that you aren't missing any segments.

All the best!

English to Swedish
TOPIC STARTER
Hm... May 7, 2008

I am a bit tired at the moment, but I am sure this is not what I am looking for.
As I said I want to export ALL segments in the TM, but I want to "strip" them of some of the attributes.
When selecting different criterias for export, as you describe, this means that ONLY segments with these attributes (or Created By, etc) are exported (or not exported, if you choose "Not" for the selected attributes).
At the moment a segment can look like this:

-CrD-21122005, 09:24:53
-CrU-THURBAN
-ChD-21122005, 15:21:46
-Att L=Status-New
-Att L=Kund-Binari
-Att L=Konsol-PS2
-Txt L=Projnr-BI034
-Seg L=EN-US-Bundle Box / Software
-Seg L=SV-SE-Konsolpaket / Mjukvara

I want to get rid of:
-Att L=Status-New
-Txt L=Projnr-BI034

But keep:
-Att L=Kund-Binari
-Att L=Konsol-PS2

I have macros that I can run in Word on the text files, but the TM is extremely large and after running the macro for 1 hour I gave up.

So any suggestions for tools to strip unwanted attributes from a TM is most welcome!

Best regards,
Cecilia

[Edited at 2008-05-07 21:58]

Canada
English to French
+ ...
I see! May 8, 2008

You're right, my initial post wasn't quite what you were looking for. With your last post, I see better what you are trying to do.

I would try exporting the TM, creating a new TM and importing into it the freshly exported TM. If you specify in the Import dialogue that you don't want the fields imported, only the segments will be imported and the fields will be discarded.

I think this would be your safest - and easiest - bet. Of course, this has the disadvantage of removing other fields as well as you will not have the option of keeping some and dscarding other fields. Either you keep everything or you keep nothing. But if you still want to keep certain fields, then you can add these later by taking your source documents and using the translate function of Workbench on them, after setting the fields you want added to your TUs.

If these instructions are not clear enough, please let me know and I'll help.

All the best!

English to Swedish
TOPIC STARTER
Keeping some May 8, 2008

Hi Victoria,
I already tried this, and as you say the disadvantage is that you loose ALL attributes.
What I am trying to do is "clean up" a 135 MB TM that lots of people have been using with attributes and text fields that are completely unnecessary, but 2 of them are useful for future reference.

I often come across TMs that have not been well-maintened (or rather, not maintained at all). When I've had this same problem in the past I have created a new TM and added the attributes that I want to keep to the new TM and then imported the old TM with the setting to ignore new fields. The problem is that there are so many attribute values (only 2 attributes, but plenty of values) that I want to keep in this particular TM. There must be a simpler way than having to re-create all values you want to keep manually.
In the end I will proably end up using this method in this case, but I would love to find a quick solution that I can use in the future to purge TMs from unwanted attributes.
I have tried exporting from Olifant with different options, but that did not work either.

So, any other tools that might do the trick?

Best regards,
Cecilia

[Edited at 2008-05-08 07:06]

Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
French to Polish
+ ...
A plain text editor... May 8, 2008

Cecilia Falk wrote:

I have macros that I can run in Word on the text files, but the TM is extremely large
[/quote]
I edited 500 MB+ text files with UltraEdit.
E.g., a general replace operation of 700000+ occurencies in a TMX file (language attributes) takes approx. 15 seconds on my 4 years old notebook.

and after running the macro for 1 hour I gave up.

So any suggestions for tools to strip unwanted attributes from a TM is most welcome!

Use a good plain text editor instead of Word.
E.g. Notepad++ (free).

Cheers
GG

[Edited at 2008-05-08 08:15]

Daniel García
English to Spanish
+ ...
Add the fields you want to keep to the new TM May 8, 2008

Hi Victoria,
I already tried this, and as you say the disadvantage is that you loose ALL attributes.
What I am trying to do is "clean up" a 135 MB TM that lots of people have been using with attributes and text fields that are completely unnecessary, but 2 of them are useful for future reference.

Hi, Cecilia,

If you add the fields that you want to keep to the newly created TM before imported, they should be kept when you import.

The fields that you don't add will not be imported.

Doesn't this work?

Daniel

English to Swedish
TOPIC STARTER
Attributes and values May 8, 2008

I thought this would work, but it turned out that I had to specify all values (a lot) for the attributes I wanted to keep.

As for working in a text editor I think the fact that there are so many values would make this approach tedious too.

I am still looking for a simple, automatic solution to remove unwanted attributes from a TM.

Best regards,
Cecilia

Canada
English to French
+ ...
Suggesting a new export format May 11, 2008

I think the solution you are looking for doesn't exist. All of the solutions proposed here work, but as you say, they can be very inefficient in cases like yours. It would take almost as much time processing your TM as writing it...

I think the solution you are looking for is an excellent candidate for a feature suggestion to SDL. Perhaps they could add a new TM export format in the next version of Trados. I think if they added .xls or .csv, we would have an export format that would allow for easier maintenance, and not only in cases like yours. Imagine if you could export a TM as a table - deleting a few columns or performing a few search and replace operations is all it would take. A few minutes in comparison with countless hours sounds like a good deal to me.

I recommend that you suggest this to SDL - they have a suggestion page buried somewhere on their site.

All the best!

[Edited at 2008-05-11 16:20]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Export TM with only some attributes?

Advanced search

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search