https://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/104129-clean_up_files_in_tag_editor_7.html

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
clean up files in Tag Editor 7
Thread poster: Marion Delarue
Marion Delarue
Marion Delarue  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 06:29
Spanish to French
+ ...
May 8, 2008

Hello,

I´ve just clened up a file in tag editor, but I had a problem: I ´ve been told that it was unable to locate the original file.
I´m a bit confused as I am new using Trados and Tag editor, and I don´t find the answers in the documentation.

Can someone help me? I am sure it is a simple mistake of mine...

Thank you

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Did you copy the ttx file to another folder? May 8, 2008

Did you create the ttx file on your own?
If so, did you change the name of the ttx file? I mean did you save it simply under the same name as the original file, but just with the extension ttx?
If you move ttx to another folder, you MUST move the original file to.
Whe you save ttx, it is advisable not to modify its name.
If you got only the ttx from the customer, than this error message is normal, as you MUST have the original file to create the translated file - as clean
... See more
Did you create the ttx file on your own?
If so, did you change the name of the ttx file? I mean did you save it simply under the same name as the original file, but just with the extension ttx?
If you move ttx to another folder, you MUST move the original file to.
Whe you save ttx, it is advisable not to modify its name.
If you got only the ttx from the customer, than this error message is normal, as you MUST have the original file to create the translated file - as cleanup does not find the file, you get the error message mentioned.
However, your TM is still updated, even if no translated file has been created.

BR
Jerzy
Collapse

Marion Delarue
France
Spanish to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
clean up files in Tag Editor 7 May 8, 2008

Thank you very much for your answer!

I don´t understand what you mean...

what I did is use the file the client gave me, translated it, saved it (as xls).
Then I went to tools - clean up-add - selected my file - update TM - and clean up.

I don´t know what to do with the option log file

Margreet Logmans (X)
Margreet Logmans (X)  Identity Verified
Netherlands
English to Dutch
+ ...
You probably can't May 8, 2008

Hi Marion,

chances are you can't clean the file. If you received it as .ttx, you should send the bilingual .ttx to your client (save Bilingual as....ttx).
As for the log file: you could analyse your file to make sure you've translated everything, but you don't need to do anything with the log file as such.

If it is an Excel file (I'm assuming this because you've saved it as .xls), than make sure both the original and the translation are under the same name in the
... See more
Hi Marion,

chances are you can't clean the file. If you received it as .ttx, you should send the bilingual .ttx to your client (save Bilingual as....ttx).
As for the log file: you could analyse your file to make sure you've translated everything, but you don't need to do anything with the log file as such.

If it is an Excel file (I'm assuming this because you've saved it as .xls), than make sure both the original and the translation are under the same name in the same location/folder on your PC before you clean it up. That's what Jerzy's advice boils down to....

Good luck!
Collapse

Jerzy Czopik
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
My way May 8, 2008

The usual (IMHO) way would have been:
Receiving the file (xls) from customer and saving in a folder of your choice.
Opening the file in Tageditor and saving it by pressing CTRL+S (then you have *.xls.ttx)
Translate the file.
If you did not do any corrections without updating the TM it is enough to use "Save target as..." and produce the final XLS.
If you changed segments witthout updating TM, than you need to do a cleanup.
In this case I would copy the origina
... See more
The usual (IMHO) way would have been:
Receiving the file (xls) from customer and saving in a folder of your choice.
Opening the file in Tageditor and saving it by pressing CTRL+S (then you have *.xls.ttx)
Translate the file.
If you did not do any corrections without updating the TM it is enough to use "Save target as..." and produce the final XLS.
If you changed segments witthout updating TM, than you need to do a cleanup.
In this case I would copy the original file and the ttx into another folder, as during the cleanup the original file will be overwritten, and do the cleanup there.

If you change the name of the ttx or move the ttx to another folder WITHOUT the original file, you get the error you mentioned.
Collapse

Marion Delarue
France
Spanish to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
didn´t save the original file May 8, 2008

thank to you both

The thing is that I forgot to save the original file when the client sent it to me... Is there anything I can do now to clean up the file if I don´t have the original?

I did update the TM

thks

[Modifié le 2008-05-08 11:52]

Margreet Logmans (X)
Margreet Logmans (X)  Identity Verified
Netherlands
English to Dutch
+ ...
How did you receive it? May 8, 2008

If it was attached to an e-mail, simply open your e-mail and save the attachment again. If you've deleted the message, try the Trash-folder in your e-mail programme.
If you've downloaded the file from an FTP server, you'll need to download it again.

Pay attention: make sure you don't overwrite your translation when saving the original; keep an eye on the extension or copy your translation to a safe location as a back-up.

Jerzy Czopik
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Create a new folder May 8, 2008

Copy the ttx there.
Copy your translated xls file there.
Change the name of translated xls file so, that it will exactly match the name of ttx-file.
Example:
ttx-file name: file_for_translation.xls.ttx
translated file name: file_for_translation_my_language.xls.ttx
necessary xls file name: file_for_translation.xls

Than you should be able to do a cleanup.

Luisa Ramos, CT
Luisa Ramos, CT  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 00:29
English to Spanish
Connection to Workbench May 8, 2008

Jerzy, correct me if I am wrong.

I understand that if you

1. open TRADOS Workbench and the TM,
2. open TagEditor,
3. open the source file,
4. save it as ttx,
5. translate the ttx (memory is updated as you go),
6. save translated file (save target as (either a new name or overwritting the original source)), then

there is no need to do a clean up.

It took me a while to understand that the process is different fr
... See more

I understand that if you

2. open TagEditor,
3. open the source file,
4. save it as ttx,
6. save translated file (save target as (either a new name or overwritting the original source)), then

It took me a while to understand that the process is different from translating a Word file, for example, where yo do need to clean up.

I am not sure about the process for an Excel format file but I bet it is discussed in the documentation. My suggestion to Marion is to do her homework and read, read, read.
Collapse

Marion Delarue
France
Spanish to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
clean up files in Tag Editor 7 May 12, 2008

Thank you to all of you!
I asked the client to send it to me again. I saved it in a place where I am sure to find it, translated the document (with the TM) and saved it as target file and as bilingual file, and sent both to the client.

I appreciate your help
I wish you a nive week!

Jerzy Czopik
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
You are right May 12, 2008

Luisa Ramos wrote:

I understand that if you

2. open TagEditor,
3. open the source file,
4. save it as ttx,

It took me a while to understand that the process is different from translating a Word file, for example, where yo do need to clean up.

I am not sure about the process for an Excel format file but I bet it is discussed in the documentation. My suggestion to Marion is to do her homework and read, read, read.

The process of translating in ttx differs from what you have in Word.
Word does not have the function "Save target as...", you need to do a cleanup (either in the Workbench or with a Word macro).

Let me put this in a very simpfilicated way:
Word: cleanup necessary for producing the target file AND for updating the TM.
Tageditor: cleanup necessary ONLY for updating the TM.
Following that the main target of the cleanup function is NOT producing the target file (as opposed to what it was in Word or what is widely understood as the main goal of cleanup), but JUST UPDATING the TM.

BR
Jerzy

Luisa Ramos, CT
Luisa Ramos, CT  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 00:29
English to Spanish
TagEditor connected to TWB - TM gets updated as you translate May 12, 2008

Jerzy Czopik wrote:

[Tageditor: cleanup necessary ONLY for updating the TM.
Following that the main target of the cleanup function is NOT producing the target file (as opposed to what it was in Word or what is widely understood as the main goal of cleanup), but JUST UPDATING the TM.

BR
Jerzy

-----------------
I have always understood —and so says the flowchart in the TagEditor section of TRADOS manual, that if you work with TWB and have a TM open, then all you need to do is Save Target As. The TM gets updated as you translate. That is how I do it.

OTOH, I have tried translating in TagEditor without TWB and have not figured it out, so I always have TagEditor connected to TWB with a TM open.

Jerzy Czopik
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Translating in Tageditor is only possible with Workbench running May 12, 2008

Indeed it is so, as you describe.
However, this applies to translation only.
When you correct after proofreading, changes without the Workbench (ie without opening and closing segments) are possible.

Antoní­n Otáhal
Antoní­n Otáhal
Member (2005)
English to Czech
+ ...
Just to make sure May 12, 2008

If I create a ttx with the aid of TagEditor, or receive it from my customer, and translate in another application, or (equivalently) make some last minute changes in the ttx "directly" (without opening the corrrespodning TM units, such as a previously overlooked typo, etc.), is it really enough to run the "Save target as..." in order to update the TM?

Long itme ago I thought it should have worked, but in several instances I had verified that the underlying TM was actually NOT... See more
If I create a ttx with the aid of TagEditor, or receive it from my customer, and translate in another application, or (equivalently) make some last minute changes in the ttx "directly" (without opening the corrrespodning TM units, such as a previously overlooked typo, etc.), is it really enough to run the "Save target as..." in order to update the TM?

Long itme ago I thought it should have worked, but in several instances I had verified that the underlying TM was actually NOT updated this way, regardless of whether I did or did not have the source file (from which the ttx was created) in the same folder as the ttx itself...

I am referring here to SDL Trados 2006, by the way. I have not experimented with the newest version, because I accepted this "TM-non-updating feature/bug" as a reality, and created a "general Windows macro" which (rather slowly, but with a certain degree of certainty) goes through a ttx for a specified number of steps, in each step opening a segment, updating the TM unit according to the ttx segment, and saving the unit to the TM. For a large job it is rather time consuming, though, so going through that process in an easier way would be most welcome.

Antonin
Collapse

Jerzy Czopik
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
"Save target as" does NOT update the TM May 12, 2008

This does work only if you translated the file with Tageditor in the "usual" way (ie opening and closing segment by segment or done the correction in that way) - only then the TM does contain the latest version of the translation.

Here is my description of how to go the other way (ie translatin/correcting without the usual Workbench-workflow):
(I just concentrate on implementing corrections after a proofreading, but this way may also apply to other workflows, like translating
... See more
This does work only if you translated the file with Tageditor in the "usual" way (ie opening and closing segment by segment or done the correction in that way) - only then the TM does contain the latest version of the translation.

Here is my description of how to go the other way (ie translatin/correcting without the usual Workbench-workflow):
(I just concentrate on implementing corrections after a proofreading, but this way may also apply to other workflows, like translating ttx with another application)
- Create folder structure, ie folder for "Incoming", "Work" and "Outcoming" files
- Place the files from your customer in "Incoming folder"
- Copy the ttx to "Work" folder or create it there (ie by copying the source file there, opening with Tageditor and pressing "Save"); in this way you will not have any problem with changed name and cleanup process not finding the source file afterwards
- Translate the ttx in a way you wish (Workbench-workflow or any other)
- Make proofreading
- Open the ttx again in Tageditor (any other application); if in Tageditor, switch the document protection completly off, implement changes in it WITHOUT opening and closing segment, ie using the "Search & replace" function (this is the faster way of implementing changes)
- Save the ttx now
- Copy the ttx and the corresponding source file to the folder "Outcoming"
- Run the cleanup proces with Workbench there
- Note, that the source file in the "Outcoming" folder will now contain not the source, but the translated text!
- Your translation memory will be than updated

Sorry for this maybe not very clear description, but I hope you understand what I mean.

BR
Jerzy

PS
This applies to ANY version of Tageditor. "Save target as" is not intended to update TM, as it just "saves" the file and does not run the cleanup process. It is comparable to what the Word macro "tw4winclean.main" does.
For this reason I adapted a two-step processing:
Translating with Workbench, correcting without it and using "Save target as" for delivery file.
Using cleanup on a copy of the ttx, placed in a special folder, just for updating the TM. In this case you can even get an error message, that the process cannot localise the source file and no target file can be created, but you can completly ignore that, as you do not attend to produce the output file. The TM will be updated regardless if the target file is produced or not.

[Edited at 2008-05-12 11:54]
Collapse

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

clean up files in Tag Editor 7

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »