How to do translate a pdf document by using Trados
Thread poster: La Classe

La Classe  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:26
French to English
+ ...
May 9, 2008

Hi!

I am using Traods version 7. I got a file from one of my regular client, the format of the file is pdf. Is it possible to translate this document by using Trados? If yes, please let me know the procedure.

Thanks in advance .

Manohar Roshan

Direct link Reply with quote

Lutz Molderings  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 16:56
Member (2007)
German to English
+ ...
PDF not supported May 9, 2008

Hi Manohar

Unfortunately, Trados does not support PDF files.
You will have to convert the PDF into another file format. (e.g. RTF, DOC, Plain Text, etc.)
Hope this helps.
Regards
Lutz

Manohar Roshan wrote:

Hi!

I am using Traods version 7. I got a file from one of my regular client, the format of the file is pdf. Is it possible to translate this document by using Trados? If yes, please let me know the procedure.

Thanks in advance .

Manohar Roshan

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Please use the forum search May 9, 2008

Hi Manohar,
Please take a moment to use the forum search; this is probably one of the most-frequently discussed issues over time. Also run a search of the Article Knowledgebase: you'll find further valuable tips on how to handle PDF files.

Best regards,
Ralf

La Classe  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:26
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks May 9, 2008

Lutz Molderings wrote:

Hi Manohar

Unfortunately, Trados does not support PDF files.
You will have to convert the PDF into another file format. (e.g. RTF, DOC, Plain Text, etc.)
Hope this helps.
Regards
Lutz

Manohar Roshan wrote:

Hi!

Thanks in advance .

Manohar Roshan

Lutz Molderings  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2007)
German to English
+ ...
as I said May 9, 2008

Manohar Roshan wrote:
Is it possible to translate this document by using Trados? If yes, please let me know the procedure.
/quote]

As I said, Trados cannot handle PDF files.
If you have the appropriate software (e.g. Adobe Acrobat), you can export the PDF to a file format supported by Trados.

Astrid Elke Witte  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
You use Abbyy Fine Reader to convert it... May 9, 2008

... which you have to buy. You also normally charge agencies extra for the time and effort involved in converting a .pdf file to Word and then formatting it to prepare it for translation.

However, as Ralf says, this question is asked every week, so there should be plenty of old forum threads with information.

Astrid

Claudia Alvis  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 09:56
Spanish
+ ...
A suggestion for the fora May 9, 2008

Astrid Elke Johnson wrote:

However, as Ralf says, this question is asked every week, so there should be plenty of old forum threads with information.

Astrid

That is true, but it's not the only frequently asked question. Maybe it would be a good idea to implement something similar to what already exists with the Kudoz system. I mean, a way to automatically display previous posts with the same keywords in the title, before submitting a new post.

xxxBrandis
English to German
+ ...
I was trying infix this morning... May 9, 2008

It is not bad as long as the file is not a direct page scan. Trados rigging cannot work. Best regards, Brandis

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to do translate a pdf document by using Trados

Advanced search

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search