SDL doesn't want me to report problems - unless I pay?
Thread poster: ViktoriaG

ViktoriaG  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 20:50
English to French
+ ...
May 11, 2008

I still can't use SDL Trados 2007 (came out a year ago) as intended. Synergy freezes in my face just seconds after I launch it one time out of two - and whn it doesn't freeze, it will not let me complete a project wizard.

I have downloaded and installed everything and even took care to reinstall MultiTerm AFTER I am done with the Trados package to make sure I will not have trouble assigning TDBs to my projects. Still, I am having problems that prevent me from using Synergy altogether.

I don't have a support agreement - I find it way too expensive for the benefit. So, I wnt to SDL's website to see if there is any new upgrade or patch - nope. Then, I went to the knowledge base - there are only two articles concerning Synergy and they don't deal with any of my problems. As a last resort, I clicked on "Report problem" to at least let them know I am having some - I imagined they used that information to create patches and/or help them nourish the knowledge base to help people fix their problems without any costly human intervention. Well, it seems I was wrong. I am required to have a support agreement to be able to just enter the "Report a problem" page.

Here is what the page displays:

SDL's "Report a problem" site:

Welcome to the SDL Trados Support Portal.

It is our mission to provide all our customers with excellent customer service and support. As a customer with a current Support Agreement you may get assistance using this support portal. Below, please enter the user name and password you received in your Support Portal activation e-mail. If you have a current Support Agreement and have not received your login information, please contact your local SDL office.

Note the part that says their mission is to provide ALL their customers with excellent service and support.

To me, this sounds like they are saying "We are not interested in your problems if you don't pay." That they are unwilling to use human resources to help me is OK - I didn't pay for the service. But that they otherwise don't even want to know what may be wrong for some of their 200,000 users they are so proud of - that makes me scratch my head in disbelief.

I have two questions. First, am I hallucinating or SDL really isn't interested in improving their product? Second, is there anything else I can do to get Synergy to work? After all, I paid for it, and this is not an issue where a user hasn't read the manual and doesn't know what s/he is doing, but rather an issue of a product not working as expected/promised (I carefully followed instructions and the screens that come up are not the ones appearing in the manual).

Direct link Reply with quote

Sandra Bertolini  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 02:50
German to Italian
+ ...
Hint May 11, 2008

Viktoria Gimbe wrote:

I have downloaded and installed everything and even took care to reinstall MultiTerm AFTER I am done with the Trados package to make sure I will not have trouble assigning TDBs to my projects. Still, I am having problems that prevent me from using Synergy altogether.

Hi Viktoria,

I don't know if this can be useful for you but I had problems with the installation of SDL Trados 2007 and when I explained my problems I was told first of all of uninstalling every previous version of SDL Trados, to first install Multiterm (you should even create a separate folder on your desktop) and then to install SDL Trados 2007 in order to avoid any eventual problems. Since it seems to me that you proceeded just in the opposite way (as I did actually), I'd suggest you to try this in order to check if everything is fine...

I hope it helps!

Sandra

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Mission statements May 11, 2008

Viktoria Gimbe wrote:
Note the part that says their mission is to provide ALL their customers with excellent service and support.

Mission statements are often/usually hyperbolic.

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
SDL do wish to provide support May 11, 2008

Hi,

Have you tried going to talisma.sdl.com, then selecting the solution finder from the three tabs across the top?

If you do this you will be taken through a series of Q&A's, only a few so it does not take long, and if you don't find an answer to help you then you will be presented with a form to complete which will submit a case in the SDL Support Centre.

Then an Engineer will get back to you and assist.

The intention of the solution finder is that it is a dynamic tool that changes as we find new problems that we can guide people through. Sometimes we will always have to help but so far, I can tell you that we have see a 70% drop in reported installation problems because most of the time they are relatively straightforward issues that users can walk themselves through.... faster than waiting for an Engineer too.

I have no doubt I will probably hear about the exceptions now, but then the sun's out, its a Bank Holiday weekend, and I'm in a good mood

Give it a try and if it doesn't help, complete the form and someone will get back to you during the week.

Kind regards

Paul
SDL Support

Textklick  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:50
German to English
+ ...
Correct address May 11, 2008

SDL Support wrote:

Hi,

Have you tried going to talisma.sdl.com, then selecting the solution finder from the three tabs across the top?

Viktoria - be sure to leave out the www. i.e. http://talisma.sdl.com - and good luck.

I have no doubt I will probably hear about the exceptions now, but then the sun's out, its a Bank Holiday weekend, and I'm in a good mood

Well, I can confirm that the sun is shining in Maidenhead right now, but if it's a Bank Holiday weekend in the U.K. (?) then my name is Lancaster.

Cheers
Chris

[/quote]

United Kingdom
English
SDL Support May 11, 2008

Hi,

Thanks for the clarification. You can also get to this by selecting "Knowledgebase" from the "Support Tab in www.sdl.com.

You're right or course. I'm in Stuttgart... so I suppose I should have said Pfingstmontag..!

Regards

Paul.
SDL Support

Textklick  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:50
German to English
+ ...
Putting the word about May 11, 2008

Having read (and experienced) that the old support page was "under maintenance" and read a lot of whinging about SDL Support in these pages (and elsewhere), would it not be a good idea to announce this new site to the world in a separate posting entitled "New SDL Support Page" or whatever?

Should I have missed something, (maybe by being in Germany during last weekend's U.K. Bank Holiday), then please disregard this post.

Eine schönen Feiertag wünscht dir der 'UK Pfingschtochse'

Chris

ViktoriaG  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 20:50
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Better yet... May 11, 2008

Textklick wrote:

uld it not be a good idea to announce this new site to the world in a separate posting entitled "New SDL Support Page" or whatever?
[/quote]

Indeed. I remember a long while back, there was discussion about this - but I didn't see any announcement since then. However, I think that instead of a general announcement, it may be even better if a link to this new support page was visible on the TranslationZone website, where most of us still instinctively go when something's wrong. I tried all options on the site, and none helped out, while the new support website is not even mentioned (unless I need new glasses).

Also, what you are saying, Sandra, is news to me. Having noticed that starting from version 7.0, there have been lots of install problems for this product, I wanted to make absolutely sure that I can install Trados without any problems and that it will work, so I read all the install documentation before I went ahead and installed. In one of the readme files, I read a section about known issues in Synergy, where it was explicitly explained that for some reason, it was impossible to assign a TDB to projects in Synergy, and that a workaround for this is to start by finishing the installation of Trados and only then install MultiTerm. So, I unistalled everything, installed the latest Trados package (Trados + Synergy) and then installed the latest MultiTerm, in which I even reorganized my existing TDBs as advised by the documentation, to make sure everything will work.

Thanks, Paul, for telling me about this option. I will visit that new site today and will let you all know how it went.

See you later!

United Kingdom
English
SDL Support May 11, 2008

Hi all,

The changes to the Support Site were actually made at the end of 2007 so we have been running them for 4/5 months now. We had a redirect page from the old facilities that explained the changes for around 2-months and if you log into your "My Account" the facilities are all available in the "My Support" section.

These are are accessed through any of the SDL websites, including www.translationzone.com.

However, I would agree that we could do more to make these facilities visible because we have had many people thinking we were taking support away, when actually we are trying to improve it and have been putting a lot of resource into this task.

We will be making more effort to publicise these changes and the facilities we have in place over the next month or so as well as making things like the knowledgebase more easily accessible through the main sites (this was actually implemented this week) as oppose to just from the "My Account" area.

We do welcome the opinions of Proz users and have made ad-hoc improvements from time to time based on what we read here in the forum, but I would encourage you to use www.ideas.sdltrados.com if you have things you believe we could improve so that we can get an indication of how many users feel this way. It isn't just for improvements to the software.

Regards

Paul
SDL Support

[Edited at 2008-05-11 20:57]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

SDL doesn't want me to report problems - unless I pay?

Advanced search

SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search