How to define non-translatable text in Framemaker?
Thread poster: Jerzy Czopik

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 00:00
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
May 11, 2008

I have a file in Framemaker, which does contain both Polish and German text.
I need to translate the German text and leave the Polish text unchanged.
If it was Word, I would just format all text, which shall not be translated, as "Hidden text" (character formatting) and then open the file in Tageditor.
Is there a way to do so in Framemaker? So that I will not need to reformat the whole file again after the translation?

I am using SDL Trados 2007 SP2 and Framemaker 7.
Thanks in advance

BR
Jerzy

Direct link Reply with quote

xxxVille Kilkku
Local time: 01:00
English to Finnish
+ ...
Use Conditional text May 11, 2008

Framemaker includes a feature that can be used to do exactly that, and is commonly used in translation: conditional text. Conditional text is found under Special menu.

In short:
1. Create a conditional text tag for content you want to hide, for example "NoTranslation" (I prefer descriptive condition tag names).
2. Apply this conditional text tag to all content that you do not want to translate.
3. Use Show/Hide settings to hide all content marked with "NoTranslation" condition tag.
4. Save the file in this state and translate it: after translation, make the hidden text visible again.

One note about applying conditional text: you can make any object conditional, not just text. For example, when applying conditional text to tables, you can make the entire table conditional, in which case the entire table is hidden regardless of the condition settings of the contents. This is useful to keep in mind to avoid selecting table anchors unless you specifically want to hide the entire table.

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 00:00
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you May 11, 2008

for your valuable help.

BR
Jerzy

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to define non-translatable text in Framemaker?

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »
BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search