Help needed with Trados license
Thread poster: Dr. Francisco Guerrero

Dr. Francisco Guerrero  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:56
English to Spanish
+ ...
May 12, 2008

I had SDL Trados Professional since June, 2007. My computer crashed, wich means I didn't have the time to "release" the license.

Now I'm trying to re install it in another, new computer, and it just would not let me.

I called, wrote to the Trados experts, and they don't answer.... you know what I mean.

Any ideas, or tricks?

Please and thank you,

Francisco Guerrero
(doctor g)

Direct link Reply with quote

Umutay Midinova
Kyrgyzstan
Local time: 17:56
English to Russian
+ ...
Account on Trados site May 13, 2008

Hello, Francisco

When I purchased the license I was provided with the link to the account.
I was sent a password and with a e-mail as login I can enter the account .
The account contains tools to create a new license namely the activation code.
What you need to ask the support it is you password to enter the account

Umutay

English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Umutay May 13, 2008

Actually, I do have access to my account etc. However, when I come to the "Available licenses" and because of my license went "burnt" with the computer that crashed on me, it tells me that that license is active.

Thank you, again,

Francisco

Umutay Midinova
Kyrgyzstan
Local time: 17:56
English to Russian
+ ...
Restoring files May 13, 2008

Hello Francisco,

I understood 'release' as 'generate', because I myself didn't create the license yet. When your computer (system) crashed? You said that you are trying to reinstall the program at another computer. Does it mean that the previous computer stays with this 'ruined' system, because there a lot of programs allowing to retrieve necessary files (in your case it would be .txt file). When restoring files you need mark what types of files you need most. A computer guy once restored the files I was working at, saving me a lot of time and effort to redo them. The was EasyRecovery program. This guy overwrote the system but a lot of files possible to restore emerged to sort out and pick up necessary.

Claudia Digel  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 13:56
English to German
+ ...
SDL Solution Finder May 13, 2008

Hello Francisco,

Have you tried to contact SDL staff through the SDL Solution Finder on http://talisma.sdl.com?

Apparently, this is the only way to get help in your situation if you don't have a support agreement. You will find further information in this thread.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,
Claudia

[Edited at 2008-05-13 19:38]

English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you for your help May 13, 2008

Umutay and Claudia; I could not thank you enough!
Yes, I tried the Trados site, I wrote to some people I knew at the ATA conference, and I bought from them... and still waiting for some help from them.
I just read from one of our translators peers... "They will just talk to you... for a fee?
Unfortunately, this is the image SDL Trados has created.

Any way, the hard drive became corrupted, that's why it crashed. There was no way to recup anything.

Now then, someone told me that if I release the licence # with a fake Host ID, and then try to reinstall it that may work... so I'm trying.

Thank you again!

Francisco

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:56
English
Installation and Licensing May 14, 2008

Hello Francisco,

First, I would like to apologise for any misleading information you may have received. All customers are entitled to free support on installation and licensing issues only. Support contracts are recommended for customers who would like rapid response for all problems and access to the SDL support hotline.

Claudia is correct; if you visit http://talisma.sdl.com and answer the questions on the solution finder you should then find some help on fixing common licensing issues. If, in your case, you have not found a solution then you will be lead to a web form for you to fill in which will then be forwarded to our support team.

I hope this helps.

Many Thanks,

Gareth Powell

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Help needed with Trados license

Advanced search

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search