Problem with accented characters and TagEditor (Accute code)
Thread poster: Claudia Alvis

Claudia Alvis  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 01:45
Spanish
+ ...
May 18, 2008

I used TagEditor to translate part of a translation sample. It was just a few simple HTML/CSS strings. I pasted the code onto Notepad and saved it as *html and UTF-8. I also made sure that HTML was selected as the DTD.

But after the file is translated and cleaned, the accented characters show up in accute code'. I can only guess the problem is that the html file is just a part of the original and the Definition String is missing; but I don't know how to fix this problem without having to modify the original code. There should be a way, shouldn't it?

For instance, here's what the 'ó' looks like:

I use Workbench and TagEditor 8.2.0.835.

Claudia


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:45
French to Polish
+ ...
HTML entities May 19, 2008

Claudia Alvis wrote:

I used TagEditor to translate part of a translation sample. It was just a few simple HTML/CSS strings. I pasted the code onto Notepad and saved it as *html and UTF-8. I also made sure that HTML was selected as the DTD.

But after the file is translated and cleaned, the accented characters show up in accute code'. I can only guess the problem is that the html file is just a part of the original and the Definition String is missing; but I don't know how to fix this problem without having to modify the original code. There should be a way, shouldn't it?

For instance, here's what the 'ó' looks like:


It's OK.
When you open the file in an Internet browser, the entities will be displayed correctly even if the code page definition is missing.
It's the purpose of the entities

You may modify with conversion settings:
Tag Editor,
Options menu, Tag Settings
Select Predefined HTML Settings
Click Properties
Select the 5th tag (Entities)
Select/Deselect the chars you want.
Make sure you know what you are doing.

Cheers
GG


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Claudia Alvis  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 01:45
Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks May 21, 2008

Thank you Grzegorz,

I checked Diacritical Marks and made sure 'acute' was check too, but the code in Notepad still displays 'acute' and not the diacritical mark. I clarify that in both TagEditor and Firefox/IE the accented characters are displayed, but I wanted to see them in Notepad after the file is translated.


Direct link Reply with quote
 


To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:


You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Problem with accented characters and TagEditor (Accute code)

Advanced search







SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »



Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search