Check spelling in TagEditor awfully slow
Thread poster: Mathieu Jacquet

Mathieu Jacquet  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 17:07
English to French
May 20, 2008

Does anyone have the same problem?

Each time I'm trying to spell check a document, it takes hours to go down a couple of lines...Is it normal?

Any help much appreciated!

Mathieu

Direct link Reply with quote

xxxPeter Manda
Local time: 11:07
German to English
+ ...
memory May 20, 2008

Your computer/laptop likely does not have enough memory for the product. My suggestion would be to upgrade the memory. If you are in the US you can go to bestbuy and have the 'geek squad" install the chips into your laptop or desktop right on the spot. Most laptops apparently have a 2GB memory limit. For freelance purposes that's sufficient. If you are a project manager or fulfill similar functions, you may have to consult someone wiser than I about memory allocation problems (if I'm remembering correctly, but I'm not certain ... you see, I forgot) ...

Daniel Šebesta  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Member (2007)
English to Czech
+ ...
Same here May 20, 2008

I've always had this problem in the TagEditor. That's why I disable the spell-checker any time I have the chance to spell-check my text in an external application.

Daniel

Gianni Pastore  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2007)
English to Italian
Not hours for a couple of lines but... May 20, 2008

... slow for my needs anyway. Save the target version on a .doc file and spell it in Word or similar app.

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
I do spell checking when closing segment May 20, 2008

and not after I've finished the translation (the other option: check spelling before saving target).
This has one very important reason: when you check spelling before saving as target, the spell mistakes will be corrected, but your Translation Memory does still contain segments with those mistakes. When you check before you close segment, all typos recognised by the spell checker will be corrected and thus not saved in TM anymore.

The spell checker is btw not that slow - it is feasible to work with it (at least in a way I described above). Usually it takes a few seconds to get to the next segment, if there was a typo. Without a typo you do not notice spell checker working in the background.
So maybe your machine specs are indeed a little bit obsolete.
My specs are Pentium Core Duo E6750 with 4 GIG RAM and two HDDs (in fact these are 4 HDDs, working in two RAID0 groups). My previous machine was Pentium Dual Core D950 with 4 GIG RAM and one RAID0 group of HDDs.

BR
Jerzy

Claudia Alvis  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 10:07
Spanish
+ ...
1 GB should be enough May 20, 2008

In my old computer, 1GB of memory was enough to check the spelling. I also check the spelling before closing the segment, but after the translation is complete I run the spelling checking plug-in once again, and in the 1GB computer, it wasn't that slow.

Maybe you should close all unnecessary applications and background applications while the spell checker is running.

Good luck,

Claudia

texjax DDS PhD  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:07
Member (2006)
English to Italian
+ ...
Thanks Jerzy May 20, 2008

Jerzy Czopik wrote:

and not after I've finished the translation (the other option: check spelling before saving target).
This has one very important reason: when you check spelling before saving as target, the spell mistakes will be corrected, but your Translation Memory does still contain segments with those mistakes. When you check before you close segment, all typos recognised by the spell checker will be corrected and thus not saved in TM anymore.

Every time I read your posts I learn something new.

Thank you! Grazie

Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
French to Polish
+ ...
MS is guilty... May 20, 2008

Jerzy Czopik wrote:

The spell checker is btw not that slow - it is feasible to work with it (at least in a way I described above). Usually it takes a few seconds to get to the next segment, if there was a typo. Without a typo you do not notice spell checker working in the background. [/quote]

If you're "speed optimized", the spellcheck is decidely too slow in TagEditor.
It's not related to TE, the problem is due to MS Proofing Tools. and I don't think it may be resolved without some optimization performed by MS.
As they prefer to develop fancy icons... you see...

So, as I work mainly in DVX (or in a mixed Trados->DVX->Trados workflow), I prefer to leave the mess as I type (I type hyperfast...) and spellcheck simultaneously in another DVX instance.
The spellcheck in DVX is slow too (you can't do better with Word as plug-in) but I can still work with the same file in my first DVX instance (you can't imagine this kind of comportment with Trados, the file you edit is always locked).

So maybe your machine specs are indeed a little bit obsolete.
My specs are Pentium Core Duo E6750 with 4 GIG RAM and two HDDs (in fact these are 4 HDDs, working in two RAID0 groups). My previous machine was Pentium Dual Core D950 with 4 GIG RAM and one RAID0 group of HDDs.

Too much power to make work a simple spellchecker.
E.g. the RAID you have has no impact on the spellcheck performance.
But a lot of memory helps

Cheers
GG

[Edited at 2008-05-20 22:01]

Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
French to Polish
+ ...
640 kB should be enough :) May 20, 2008

Claudia Alvis wrote:

In my old computer, 1GB of memory was enough to check the spelling.

LOL.
640 kB should be enough, as Bill G. said in 1981 (?)
1 GB is enough for common tasks but in a heavy duty multitasking environment, it's easily insufficient now.

I also check the spelling before closing the segment, but after the translation is complete I run the spelling checking plug-in once again, and in the 1GB computer, it wasn't that slow.

Maybe you should close all unnecessary applications and background applications while the spell checker is running.

The problem is what apps are unnecessary.
My Internet browsers take 200 megs now...

BTW.
My almost 5 years old HP nx7010 with 1.25 RAM is still one of my preferred machines for the interactive work.
I have machines with 3-4 GB but I simply love this scrap

Cheers
GG

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Check spelling in TagEditor awfully slow

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search