Jaime Oriard  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 08:22
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
May 21, 2008

Dear all,

I know this topic has come up before, but there have been no conclusive answers to it. Hopefully, now that the 2007 version has been out for a while, someone has figured out a solution.

My setup:
Windows XP SP2
Word 2007 (English)
Trados 2007 SP1 (8.2.0.835)

My issue:
I want to be able to use the WB to segment headers and footers so I can translate them and store them in the TM. (I don't want to use workarounds anymore, like using previous versions of either Trados or Word, using the TE, or segmenting by hand.) I always get the "No text to translate at cursor point" error message, regardless of the position of the cursor (obviously inside the header/footer area). My setup allows me to pre-segment headers/footers and to clean them up using the WB, but I cannot segment them or open the pre-segmented units while in Word.

Faithfully,
JO

Direct link Reply with quote

Jacques DP  Identity Verified
Switzerland
Local time: 15:22
Member (2003)
English to French
Any news? Apr 27, 2009

Hello,

With Vista, Office 2007 and SDL Trados 2007 (SP2, build 305), I still can't translate headers in Word files by using Workbench and Word.

This has been raised more than one year ago, not just in this thread.

I could find nothing about it on http://talisma.sdl.com

So, shall we conclude that Workbench 2007 is a great software except that it cannot translate headers in Word files?

Thanks,

Jacques

Mexico
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Unfortunately, no Apr 27, 2009

Hello Jacques,

I haven't had any news on this. I now have Vista and Trados 835, and still cannot work with headers or footers.

Just yesterday I had to copy and past to a new document and and then cut and paste into the document I was translating. It is a real hassle!

Hope you have better luck at finding a solution than I ever had. If you do, please post it here!

Best,

Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Use TagEditor Apr 27, 2009

Hi Jaime,
the only thing I can advise is using TagEditor. It is no workaround, since TagEditor has been designed for translation of more complex formats. Taking the vulnerability of Word into account, it is much safer to use TagEditor anyway.

Mexico
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
TagEditor is no word processor Apr 27, 2009

Stanislav,

Thank you for your input, but despite the fact that I use TE a lot, I still prefer to copy & paste headers and footers in Word and work in Word. TE is not even close to being a real word processor. The ability to highlight text, use track changes, etc. are extremely useful features.

Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
No word processor indeed Apr 27, 2009

Jaime Oriard wrote:

Stanislav,

Thank you for your input, but despite the fact that I use TE a lot, I still prefer to copy & paste headers and footers in Word and work in Word. TE is not even close to being a real word processor. The ability to highlight text, use track changes, etc. are extremely useful features.

Hi Jaime,
you are absolutely right. TE is no word processor and it is not meant to be one. Although I miss tracking changes in TE too, for me it has proven to be much safer than Word. But this is of course a matter of personal preference.

Jacques DP  Identity Verified
Switzerland
Member (2003)
English to French
About using Tageditor for Word files Apr 28, 2009

Hi Jaime and Stanislav,

Thanks for your confirmation (alas).

By the way, here are a few problems with using Tageditor on Word files.

First, Word files are sometimes full of junk formatting, and in Tageditor you get to see and handle all of the junk formatting, tag after tag, like it were precious XML tag content.

Of course, you will miss any productivity feature from Word. To write « OK » (French quotes included):
- In Word: " O K "
- In Tageditor: ALT 0 1 7 1 CTRL SHIFT SPACE O K CTRL SHIFT SPACE ALT 0 1 8 7

Then there is the TM issue. The TM content that has been created with Word can't be properly leveraged in Tageditor because of tags. Now of course the wordcount you are paid by establishes matches with the Word document, not the TTX one...

And finally you have the clean-up "surprise". It may simply fail with an irrelevant message.

Thanks all.

Jacques

Mexico
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
So very true Apr 28, 2009

Jacques,

You have just mentioned some of the issues why I prefer working with Word + WB and not with TE, unless I get InDesign, Quark or similar source files. Furthermore, more than 90% of the files I get are Word files so the TM issue is a big one for me. Although I have had to export it and reimport it to get rid of the formatting thing and be able to use it in TE, but it is a hassle.

Best,

libby965
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
just curious Apr 29, 2009

Hi Jaime,

I also prefer using Word and have the leverage issue with tags in tm for word vs. TE. You mentioned a way to export TM, do something with formatting and bring back in so works better with TE - can you clarify? This would be really helpful to me!

P.S. Re headers/footers, I've been able to do translation just double-clicking to open header/footer, ensuring hard returns where needed for segmentation and then translate in word with WB. Of course after you clean, you have to take out any returns you added, but generally pretty quick and all your stuff is in TM. Was it something else specific that was causing difficulty?

Regards,
Libby

Mexico
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Not that easy, though Apr 30, 2009

libby965 wrote:
... do something with formatting and bring back in so works better with TE - can you clarify?...

Well, this is not an easy process. It involves exporting as a TMX and then deleting codes in this TMX with complex search criteria to eliminate the formatting coding.

libby965 wrote:
I've been able to do translation just double-clicking to open header/footer, ensuring hard returns where needed for segmentation and then translate in word with WB.

What WB build, Word version and, OS do you have?

libby965
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
headers and footers with WB May 4, 2009

Jaime Oriard wrote:

libby965 wrote:
... do something with formatting and bring back in so works better with TE - can you clarify?...

Well, this is not an easy process. It involves exporting as a TMX and then deleting codes in this TMX with complex search criteria to eliminate the formatting coding.

Yipes! Is this something I would be able to find somewhere else on the site or could you give me an example of the search criteria you use?

libby965 wrote:
I've been able to do translation just double-clicking to open header/footer, ensuring hard returns where needed for segmentation and then translate in word with WB.

What WB build, Word version and, OS do you have?

I have Trados 7, Word 2003 and XP. Seems to work pretty good now, but I'm a little apprehensive- we're moving to Vista and Wrd 2007 soon!:-0
Best,
Libby

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Problems with segmentation and translation of headers and footers

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search