Word 2003 Winword.exe orphan after TagEditor v.8.0 is closed
Thread poster: Cathryn Taylor

Cathryn Taylor  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:33
Italian to English
May 30, 2008

Running SDL Trados 2007 Freelance SP2, Office 2003 on Windows XP SP2

Just wondering if anyone has this same problem, or better still, if anyone's found a solution to it - SDL Support included.

I've seen lots of posts regarding the TagEditor spellchecker and know that's probably the reason why TagEditor actually runs winword.exe.

After finishing a translation in TagEditor, and after spellchecking without problems, I save as target, close TagEditor and close TWB.

No matter how long I wait, the orphaned winword.exe fails to close on its own. I always have to close it manually. And if I don't remember to do it, my CPU usually "tells me" by going into overdrive and showing a 50-60% cpu usage when none of the relevant applications are open any more!!

I notice that winword.exe doesn't open as a process under explorer.exe, but under a Win32 Services process with the following tree:
System
smss.exe (Windows NT Session Manager)
winlogon.exe (Window NT Application Access)
services.exe (Service and Control Application)
svchost.exe (Generic Host Process for Win32 Services)
winword.exe

Under the same process (svchost.exe) there is also WISPTIS.EXE (more or less a permanent resident) and, as I open TagEditor, for a short while I also see an instance of wmiprvse.exe come up at the same time as winword.exe, but that disappears after a few seconds.

This scenario is always the same whether I actually use the spellchecker or not, and was exactly the same when I used Trados Freelance 7.5 on the same system.
As I haven't been able to find answers elsewhere - here, in SDL support pages or other Trados user groups - I'm beginning to wonder if it happens only to me. And if so, why, what's wrong in my comp setup?

All comments welcome, and thanks in advance

Direct link Reply with quote

tectranslate ITS GmbH
German
+ ...
Workaround May 30, 2008

I think I know what you mean and it's probably related to the spelling checker component alright. As a workaround, you may want to launch Word BEFORE you launch TagEditor.

That way, you'll have an MS Word window in the UI that you can either use or close after you're done in TagEditor.

HTH,
Benjamin

[Edited at 2008-05-30 13:41]

Cathryn Taylor  Identity Verified
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
Re Benjamin's suggested workaround May 30, 2008

Thanks for your input, Benjamin!
Just tried out your suggestion. With TagEditor and TWB both closed completely I launched Word and left it open, and this (quite rightly) opened a winword.exe session under the explorer process.
Then I opened TagEditor/TWB and this opened ANOTHER (it's own) instance of winword.exe under the same process tree mentioned in my first post.
Closing TagEditor again DID kill its own winword.exe process almost immediately and didn't send my CPU into tilt!

So as a workaround this DOES work and I'll definitely try to remember this from now on. Thanks again, Benjamin!!

HOWEVER, what I don’t understand is why we should have to actually open Word when we want to work in TagEditor. (It’s the equivalent, to me, of being asked to open TagEditor so I can work in the TWB-Word combination!)
If TagEditor has an inbuilt command (for whatever reason) to open winword.exe and does so on its own, I’d really like to know why it doesn't close it again (on its own).
Or IS there an inbuilt command to close Word again that simply fails to work on my comp?

Again, is this a problem that only happens to me (regardless of the spellchecker aspect)? If so, what settings are wrong on my comp compared to everyone else's?

If it isn't a problem specific only to my comp, and others 'suffer' too, has anyone got an answer (or found one) from SDL? Is it a general SDL-Microsoft conflict, and if so are they any nearer to resolving it?

I can carry on living with it, sure, as I have done for years, but it still bugs me because it's so illogical :-/

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Word 2003 Winword.exe orphan after TagEditor v.8.0 is closed

Advanced search

LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search