Dr. Tilmann Kleinau  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 22:23
Member (2006)
English to German
+ ...
May 31, 2008

Dear all,
I have bought and installed SDL Trados 2007, and it works well with my MS Office XP (2002). Now I want to install MS Office 2007 on my computer and afterwards deinstall the old Office version. Do you think there will be any problems with the Trados-Word interface or any other problems I´ll have to expect? Has anyone of you already done this, and did it work well?
Thanks for your advice,
Tilmann

Direct link Reply with quote

Astrid Elke Witte  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
Yes, it works fine with Office 2007 May 31, 2008

I have Trados 2007 and Office 2007, and there are no compatibility problems.

Astrid

Adam Podstawczynski  Identity Verified
Polish to English
+ ...
slower in Word Jun 1, 2008

It should work, but Trados 2007 is noticeably slower in Word 2007 than in Word's previous editions. Changing segments takes longer. The latest service pack to Trados promised to solve this, but it is still slower than in older Words.

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Switch to TagEditor Jun 1, 2008

We still use Office XP as some of our Trados licenses are still 7.0. But some two months ago we decided to stop using Word for translation, because of the speed problems and the fact that Trados messes up the format. It's also awfully slow with tables, headers and footers, working around images...

We now open the Word files in TagEditor and work with that, using the actual Word format just for spellchecking. And we are experiencing more stability and speed than with Word itself. I recommend you to try it.

Alexey Ivanov  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 00:23
English to Russian
They are fully compatible Jun 2, 2008

Sometime ago I asked the same question here before buying SDL Trados 2007. Astrid was kind enough to confirm their compatibility and reliable performance under MS Vista. Now I can confirm that myself after using both for some time. As regards slower operation in comparison with the previous versions, I have made the following observation: I have two machines using exactly the same combination of the software - my laptop with 2.5 GHz processor and 3 Gb of RAM and my desktop with 2.4 GHz processor and the same 3Gb of RAM (it is actually 4, but only 3 are used for user tasks). And the curious thing is that the laptop with the faster processor works like a lightning, while the dektop works a bit slower, but not much. And the speed of both even with large TM is absolutely fine. So, I conclude from this that the new SDL Trados and MS Office are more demanding in terms of resources, and if you intend to use them (especially under Vista) you have to consider upgrading to a more powerful processor with minimum 2.4 GHz frequency, but 2.5 GHz will be still better.

Dr. Tilmann Kleinau  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2006)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Jun 5, 2008

Now I have installed MS Office 2007 on my PC, and Trados works without any problems. Thanks to all contributors for their help and advice,
Tilmann

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

SDL Trados 2007 and MS Office 2007

Advanced search

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search