Client wants exported TM in TXT format. What for?
Thread poster: Mark Chen
Mark Chen
Mark Chen  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:44
English to Chinese
+ ...
Jun 3, 2008

I just have a project from a client and he wants me to send back the clean and unclean file in Word together with an exported TM in TXT format.

I don't quite understand. The unclean file will be enough for editing purpose. What does he need the exported TM for?

František Vaško
František Vaško
Slovakia
Local time: 14:44
English to Slovak
+ ...
possibly TM creation Jun 3, 2008

He may be creating his own TM and wants .txt for these purposes (to upgrade his existing TM). If the project was considerably big, it is much less time consuming to import .txt file only and not to add it to TM manually by "re-translating" Your unclean file.

Mark Chen
Mark Chen  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:44
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thanks Jun 3, 2008

On another occasion a translation company who has never worked with me before also wanted me to send back the updated TM when they asked me to do a test translation. I don't think they needed it for the project. If not, what for?

František Vaško
František Vaško
Slovakia
English to Slovak
+ ...
the same Jun 3, 2008

This seems to me to be the same. Translation agencies use to ceate their own translation memories. Even though it was a test translation, the process of submitting projects is usually standardized and thus they wanted You to send export of Your updated TM in case their correctors would say it is OK to use.

Siegfried Armbruster
Siegfried Armbruster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
Ask! Jun 4, 2008

Sorry, I can't resist to make this comment, after having this topic on my screen for several days now.

You don't understand why your client wants an exported TM in TXT format.

Ask the client.

Siegfried

[Edited at 2008-06-04 09:54]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Client wants exported TM in TXT format. What for?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »