Unclean files delivered as rtf using Trados
Thread poster: Hildegard Klein-Bodenheimer

Hildegard Klein-Bodenheimer  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 11:42
English to German
+ ...
Jun 4, 2008

So far, when I used Trados I worked in TagEditor and in the end delivered ttx.files and clean files (word documents) to the customer.
I have a new client and they want the files delivered as unclean rtf.files. A colleague told me that I might have to translate direct in the word document with the workbench open and adding the tags manually. Or to translate in TagEditor and then change the ttx.files into bif.files and then into rtf.files.
I tried everything I could think of and can't find a proper way of doing this. Do I have to change settings in TagEditor or workbench or what do I have to do to make this work?

I am under some pressure to get this right.
Thank you for all suggestions

Direct link Reply with quote

Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
What's the problem? Jun 4, 2008

Hi Hildegard,
just work directly within MS Word with the Translator's Workbench window open.
I don't think I really know what your problem here is. Could you specify it more closely?

Marina Soldati  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 06:42
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Another idea Jun 4, 2008

You might:

Translate the file in TagEditor, once it´s revised and ready, clean it in Workbench.
Open your rtf in Word with Workbench opened.
Open the first segment. I think you might not get 100% matches because of the tags, but it´ll surely give some kind of match.
You might have to copy and paste the tags manually but I think it could work.
That way you`ll have a bilingual rtf.
You can try with the first 10 segments and see if it works, so as not to waste too much time if it doesn`t.

Hope this helps
Marina

Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
A bit too complicated Jun 4, 2008

Marina Soldati wrote:

You might:

Translate the file in TagEditor, once it´s revised and ready, clean it in Workbench.
Open your rtf in Word with Workbench opened.
Open the first segment. I think you might not get 100% matches because of the tags, but it´ll surely give some kind of match.
You might have to copy and paste the tags manually but I think it could work.
That way you`ll have a bilingual rtf.

Hope this helps
Marina

Dear Marina, yes, this would be possible indeed but it's a bit too many operations. Wouldn't it be easier to translate directly in MS Word and then saving your DOC file as RTF?
Your procedure could take several hours more if the translation project is larger.

Regards,

Stanislav

[Upraveno: 2008-06-04 21:31]

Marina Soldati  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 06:42
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Sure Jun 4, 2008

Stanislav Pokorny wrote:

Dear Marina, yes, this would be possible indeed but it's a bit too many operations. Wouldn't it be easier to translate directly in MS Word and then saving your DOC file as RTF?
Your procedure could take several hours more if the translation project is larger.

Regards,

Stanislav

Of course it would be easier to do it directly in MS Word, I just thought the poster wanted a workaround to do it in TagEditor.

Regards,
Marina

Hildegard Klein-Bodenheimer  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
How does it save in work bench Jun 4, 2008

Hi Stanislav and Marina,

Sometimes it is good to talk things out!
And to have someone say "I don't know what your problem is."
I couldn't get the connection between word and workbench.

My really stupid mistake was that I didn't open the document through the Trados icons but just wrote in the word document wondering why on earth workbench didn't save anything. Oh yes, it's time that the day ends!

Thanks to both of you my life became much easier.

Have a nice evening or night (what ever time of the day it is at your part of the world.

Thank you!

Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
I see Jun 8, 2008

Marina Soldati wrote:

Stanislav Pokorny wrote:

Regards,

Stanislav

Of course it would be easier to do it directly in MS Word, I just thought the poster wanted a workaround to do it in TagEditor.

Now I can see your point

Hildegard wrote:
My really stupid mistake was that I didn't open the document through the Trados icons but just wrote in the word document wondering why on earth workbench didn't save anything. Oh yes, it's time that the day ends!

Glad you made it. Good luck!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Unclean files delivered as rtf using Trados

Advanced search

PDF Translation - the Easy Way
TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation.

TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation. It also puts your translations back into the PDF to make new PDFs. Quicker and more accurate than hand-editing PDF. Includes free use of Infix PDF Editor with your translated PDFs.

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search