Thread poster: brave_mushro (X)
brave_mushro (X)
brave_mushro (X)
Local time: 14:35
English to Russian
+ ...
Jun 6, 2008

Hello,

I have a question about Trados 7, it doesn't work with Word 2007 and Vista, so I decided to replace the entire MS with 2003 version. Will Word 2003 work under Vista? Will it help make Trados 7 work? Does anyone have this combination Word 2003 + Vista + Trados 7?

Thank you!

Mykhailo Voloshko
Mykhailo Voloshko  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Member (2008)
English to Russian
+ ...
yes Jun 6, 2008

Yes, it will. I have quite the same combination.

Good luck!

Giovany Rodríguez Monsalve
Giovany Rodríguez Monsalve
Colombia
Local time: 06:35
English to Spanish
+ ...
Yes, I have it! Jun 6, 2008

It works!

JPW (X)
JPW (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:35
Spanish to English
+ ...
I have it as well. Jun 6, 2008

I use word, excel etc 2003 for trados 7. I also have ms office suite 2007 installed. they both work fine, except that when you switch between them [not using workbench of course] they have to sort of 're-install' each time. It only takes a few moments though. by this I mean if you were editing a document in word 2003 then decided to close that and create a new document in word 2007, between closing the one and opening the other, it has to take a few moments to make the switchover, like reloading... See more
I use word, excel etc 2003 for trados 7. I also have ms office suite 2007 installed. they both work fine, except that when you switch between them [not using workbench of course] they have to sort of 're-install' each time. It only takes a few moments though. by this I mean if you were editing a document in word 2003 then decided to close that and create a new document in word 2007, between closing the one and opening the other, it has to take a few moments to make the switchover, like reloading it or something. Only one of them can be the default program (I think).

You can still see the workbench toolbar in word 2007 (add-ins tab) but nothing happens when you try to use it.

still, it works.

Like all upgrades/changes, sometimes you hate them. I didn't like word 2007 at first, or vista for that matter, coz it's new, it's out of your comfort zone a little. but once you get used to it, it's not so bad. It's a lot better looking than previous versions.

[Edited at 2008-06-06 20:15]
Collapse

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 13:35
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Never give up, ask the right people :-) Jun 6, 2008

It is not necessary to live with this. You can prevent different Office versions from permanent reregistering when you follow this article from the Microsoft knowledge base.
Please note, that this article describes how to prevent Word 2007 from reregistering. If you wish to prevent other versions of Word from reregistering themselves, replace the "12" (version number) with 11 f
... See more
It is not necessary to live with this. You can prevent different Office versions from permanent reregistering when you follow this article from the Microsoft knowledge base.
Please note, that this article describes how to prevent Word 2007 from reregistering. If you wish to prevent other versions of Word from reregistering themselves, replace the "12" (version number) with 11 for Word 2003 or 10 for Word XP (2002.
Please note also the remark regarding Outlook 2007 nd other versions of this program. In my case it was not possible to keep only Outlook 2003 and not to install Outlook 2007, as it did not work, so I had to go for Outlook 2007 - but both Office 2003 and 2007 do work well on my laptop.

BR
Jerzy

[Edited at 2008-06-06 20:25]
Collapse

Doron Greenspan MITI
Doron Greenspan MITI  Identity Verified
Israel
Member (2005)
English to Hebrew
+ ...
It works, but... Jun 8, 2008

...you need a large memory (RAM).

I just bought a new pc with Vista Business, and following the discussions in ProZ, asked for the largest RAM possible - 3 GB.

It sure helps when working with Office 2003 and Trados 2007 (I know you mentioned Trados 7...).

Doron

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 13:35
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Yes, lots of memory leaks Jun 8, 2008

Doron Greenspan MITI wrote:
...you need a large memory (RAM).

Unfortunately Doron is right. Office 2003/XP has many memory leaks and if you work with a large Word file you will need to close it and reopen it every 2-3 thousand words. Otherwise the risk of Word crashing and forcing you to lose precious time gets very high...

brave_mushro (X)
brave_mushro (X)
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Jun 9, 2008

Thanks everyone!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Word 2003 + Vista --> Trados 7

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »