https://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/107612-about_robohelp_and_about_opening_tms.html

About RoboHelp and about opening TMs
Thread poster: Elliina
Elliina
Elliina
English to Finnish
Jun 12, 2008

Hi,
does anyone know whether it is possible to use Trados together with RoboHelp?
I translate plenty of Robohelp files but have not found a way to use it with Trados - copying texts to Word and back to Robohelp is really not a good idea.

Another question concerning TMs.
I sometimes work at home, leaving my computer running on my desk at the office. At home I have my own computer and I open my office computer through a remote connection. So I am using my office comp
... See more
Hi,
does anyone know whether it is possible to use Trados together with RoboHelp?
I translate plenty of Robohelp files but have not found a way to use it with Trados - copying texts to Word and back to Robohelp is really not a good idea.

Another question concerning TMs.
I sometimes work at home, leaving my computer running on my desk at the office. At home I have my own computer and I open my office computer through a remote connection. So I am using my office computer, even though I don't have it at home.

Everything else works just fine except I cannot open any TMs. I always get an error message that the TM is too large and it will run in demo mode or something.
However, if I have left the TM open, I can use it just fine through the remote connection.

This causes sometimes problems, for example, when I should start using another TM than the one I have left open.

Anyone?
Collapse

Stanislav Pokorny
Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 22:28
English to Czech
+ ...
Robohelp and Trados Jun 12, 2008

Hi Elliina,
to your questions:
1) Robohelp won't interact with Trados, but TagEditor can edit the Robohelp output, i. e. HTM(L), HHC, and HHK files.

2) I don't think Trados Freelance enables to be run on remote desktop - that's why it switches do demo mode and you can't open any TM containing more than 100 TUs.

Elliina
Elliina
English to Finnish
TOPIC STARTER
Ok Jun 12, 2008

Thank you Stanislav!

Stanislav Pokorny
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
One more comment Jun 12, 2008

If you receive compiled CHM help files, ask your client to decompile them into the above-mentioned HTML, HHC and HHK files beforehand.

[Upraveno: 2008-06-12 10:13]

Elliina
Elliina
English to Finnish
TOPIC STARTER
chm files Jun 12, 2008

Thanks again,
you don't have any idea how chm files can be decompiled...?
Our client seems to know even less about Trados and Robohelp than I do

Stanislav Pokorny
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
I'm not sure but... Jun 12, 2008

...it may be possible directly in RoboHelp. If it is not, try searching Google for "CHM compilation". It gives quite a number of hits.

nic456
nic456
Local time: 21:28
English to German
+ ...
RH and Trados work process Jul 8, 2008

Hi Eliina,

I have used Trados for an online help written with RH.

As Stanislav said, you cannot used the compiled html file but instead copy the folders with content to a separate location.

Each folder contains numerous html files.

All you need to do is to drag the html file into the Tag Editor, translate it, review it, clean it up with the Workbench, and drag a copy back to the original location or rather a second folder for the language in qu
... See more
Hi Eliina,

I have used Trados for an online help written with RH.

As Stanislav said, you cannot used the compiled html file but instead copy the folders with content to a separate location.

Each folder contains numerous html files.

All you need to do is to drag the html file into the Tag Editor, translate it, review it, clean it up with the Workbench, and drag a copy back to the original location or rather a second folder for the language in question!

I found one BIG drawback in this arrangement: you can easily use search and replace in RH via
Tools tab bottom left > Multi-file find and replace.

For example, search for cat, case-sensitive, if necessary, and the results will be per file and you can scroll through the text, replace all instances of cat with tomcat, if necessary, or on a case by case basis.

This feature is far more powerful and flexible than Trados freelance (single pair of sentences only, no context).

So if you wanted to keep your TM updated, establish the file names in RH and then access the corresponding htm.ttx files. Tiresome!

Good luck!
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

About RoboHelp and about opening TMs

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »