France
Local time: 11:12
Member (2005)
Spanish to French
+ ...
Jun 12, 2008

Hi everyone,

I need some help with Trados.

I have SDL Trados 2007 Freelance (SDL Trados Workbench 8.2.0.835 - Build 835) on Vista and I use Office 2003.

I have several Word files to translate with Trados. These files have been prepared for Trados by my client, therefore the left colum of the files is defined as DO_NOT_TRANSLATE and the right column is the one to translate. The client and the other translators don't have any problem at all working with these files.

Of course, I can't work with these files.

Here is my problem. I open the first string, translate it and then when I click on the button "Set/Close Next Open/Get" or use the corresponding shortcut, Trados closes the current string and that's all. It doesn't open the following string or any other strings. It means that I must Open a string, than Close it, than Open the second string, etc. manually and this is very time consuming as I have 50,000 words to translate.

I can't find any solution. Is there anyone that could help me?

Many thanks!
Claire

Direct link Reply with quote

RWSTranslation
Germany
Member (2007)
German to English
+ ...
DO_NOT_TRANSLATE Jun 12, 2008

Hello,
what exactly do you mean with DO_NOT_TRANSLATE formatting?

If you mean a format in Word, you should ensure to insert the format in the Memory settings.

Maybe it is easier to open the file in TagEditor for translating. If the file is very large, you can divide it into parts?

Regards

Hans

Claire Caro  Identity Verified
France
Member (2005)
Spanish to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
RE Jun 12, 2008

Hello,

How can I insert the format in my Memory settings?

Unfortunately, my client doesn't want TagEditor files. I already asked him because I also thought it would be easier, but the answer was no.

If you could tell me how to insert the format, that could be the solution.

Thanks,
Claire

Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
I guess it's the table... Jun 12, 2008

... that does not allow Trados to open the next segment. Convert it to text and see what happens.

I would even throw away the first column - you can always put it back before delivering.

Claire Caro  Identity Verified
France
Member (2005)
Spanish to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
RE Jun 12, 2008

This is what I've done so far, but I have 250 pages to translate, so I hope there won't be any problem when I past the first column back.

It's kind of frustrating not to understand why something works for some translators and not for others...

Thanks!
Claire

Xiangdong Zhuo
China
Local time: 18:12
English to Chinese
Apply a particular style to the Column Jun 13, 2008

When you need to skip the left column from Trados, you may simply define a text style named "tw4winExternal" and apply it to the column.

Hope this helps.

Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
If the first column happens to be the source ... Jun 13, 2008

then you can safely throw it away for good and - when finished - convert the bilingual DOC/RTF file to a two-column Word file , for instance using PlusToyz, with the source left and the translatioin right.

In any case - even if it s not source - you can delete it and (to get it back) let TWB pretranslate the original files: the left column will be left untouched and the right column will be bilingual. After cleaning you have it the way you wanted it in the first place.

We always fear of changing anything in the file or files we are working on. I wonder why sometimes: we always have a) the original files somewhere and b) the translation memory. The file we are working on, is just a consumable. The real stuff gets accumulated in the TM.

Regards

Vito

[Edited at 2008-06-13 09:51]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Column DO_NOT_TRANSLATE

Advanced search

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search