How do I get (see) a biligual document while translating?
Thread poster: Constance Mannshardt
Constance Mannshardt
Constance Mannshardt  Identity Verified
Brazil
Member (2005)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Jun 16, 2008

This certainly must have been discussed before but I haven't slept since yesterday, there is still a lot to do until tomorrow morning and I am quite sure there must be an easy and quick way to solve my problem:

After a PC-Crash this weekend I am working on my second computer, which is all right and up to date. Windows XP, Trados 7.1.0.719, everything fine. While translating in Trados (word or tageditor), although I did all the settings for Trados for workbench, tageditor etc (twice
... See more
This certainly must have been discussed before but I haven't slept since yesterday, there is still a lot to do until tomorrow morning and I am quite sure there must be an easy and quick way to solve my problem:

After a PC-Crash this weekend I am working on my second computer, which is all right and up to date. Windows XP, Trados 7.1.0.719, everything fine. While translating in Trados (word or tageditor), although I did all the settings for Trados for workbench, tageditor etc (twice now), as I translate the source text "vanishes" as I do "set/close next/open". That means, as I translate, I can't see the sorce text anymore, only the target text BUT I WANT BOTH! What am I doing wrong or where did I miss something?

Thank you!
Collapse

Margreet Logmans (X)
Margreet Logmans (X)  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 22:38
English to Dutch
+ ...
Hidden text Jun 16, 2008

Search for 'Hidden text' in the forums - you'll find your answer.

Constance Mannshardt
Brazil
Member (2005)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Show hidden text OK! :-( Jun 16, 2008

Thank you for replying and the hint, Margreet, but my Show Hidden text in View, Options was checked. I tried to check "all", too, but I don't like that and it seems to me, that this ins't the point.
I'm so tired!

Margreet Logmans (X)
Margreet Logmans (X)  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 22:38
English to Dutch
+ ...
Both Word and TagEditor? Jun 17, 2008

Hi Constance,

this Hidden Text issue is the most frequent cause of this kind of problem, but this might be a different situation.
Do you lose your source text in TagEditor as well?
Does the entire box disappear or does your target text come up in the box where normally your source text would be?

I'm trying to help you, but I need to know what to look for.

Constance Mannshardt
Brazil
Member (2005)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Hm...issue seems to have been solved, but... Jun 19, 2008

hi Margreet, thank you for your help and sorry I didn't return earlier: there has been lots of work!

The fact is: yes, I was loosing my source text in TagEditor, too. And it seemed to me, as if Trados was cleaning the documents while translating, that means, the source box was disappearing and only target text remaining (without box) after close/next.
After some adjustments and trying around this issue seems solved.

Now what I have:
1. Font in target "box"
... See more
hi Margreet, thank you for your help and sorry I didn't return earlier: there has been lots of work!

The fact is: yes, I was loosing my source text in TagEditor, too. And it seemed to me, as if Trados was cleaning the documents while translating, that means, the source box was disappearing and only target text remaining (without box) after close/next.
After some adjustments and trying around this issue seems solved.

Now what I have:
1. Font in target "box" changes to a font different from that of the source text.
2. My spell-checker is working on his own!!! On my other pc, when I ask to spell-check, we (the spell-Checker and me) work together through the whole document: he shows me what me means is wrong, I apply or not his suggestions. Now he just does his work (as he likes) and then tells me he's done!

I think these are all configuration issues that still need to be done, I just don't know how!
Collapse

Anna Villegas
Anna Villegas
Mexico
Local time: 14:38
English to Spanish
Here... Jun 19, 2008

WORKBENCH MENU > OPTIONS > TRANSLATION MEMORY OPTIONS > GENERAL > Check "Copy source on no match".

That's it.

Anna Villegas
Anna Villegas
Mexico
Local time: 14:38
English to Spanish
Else... Jun 19, 2008

Check all Switches, except "Show project settings".

Sleep nice.

Constance Mannshardt
Brazil
Member (2005)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
:-) Jun 19, 2008

Hello Tadzio,
"copy source on no match" was already checked, I'll try "show project settings" although I'm sure that this one was NOT checked on my other computer. Let's see if it works! I'll let you know.
Thank you a lot

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How do I get (see) a biligual document while translating?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »