Annika Hedqvist
Annika Hedqvist  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 08:17
Member (2008)
English to Swedish
+ ...
Jun 18, 2008

I have a problem with Translators Workbench crashing when I try to clean up a file. It seems to have started after I had a problem with a document containing footnotes. Then everything locked up and I couldn't clean up my file without Workbench crashing.

I eventually removed the footnotes in the original document with the intention of translating only the plain text and then manually inserting the footnotes again. But then I still couldn't clean up the file. At about 93-94 % Workben
... See more
I have a problem with Translators Workbench crashing when I try to clean up a file. It seems to have started after I had a problem with a document containing footnotes. Then everything locked up and I couldn't clean up my file without Workbench crashing.

I eventually removed the footnotes in the original document with the intention of translating only the plain text and then manually inserting the footnotes again. But then I still couldn't clean up the file. At about 93-94 % Workbench crashes.

So then I tried creating a test document with an entirely different text and an entirely different TM. It still crashed.

I have Word 2007, could that be a part of the problem?

I know this is very little information for solving the problem, but has anyone had the same experience? Anyone knows what to do?

I should also mention that I got Trados maybe a year ago, but I haven't used it much on my own computer, so I can't say for sure if I ever successfully managed to clean up a file, but I think I did...

I'm very grateful for all the help I could get.
Collapse

Annika Hedqvist
Sweden
Member (2008)
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Can't process RTF format Jun 18, 2008

So I downloaded and used Trados 2006 instead of 2007 and now the clean up window first shows "converting DOC-RTF" and then tells me "(352575064): Can't process RTF format". Maybe someone can help me with this?

This time at least it didn't crash and I got a log file. I figure that's some sort of improvement...

(I did the translation in Word 2007 with Trados Workbench 2007 Service Pack 2)

Mafalda d'Orey de Faria
Mafalda d'Orey de Faria  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 07:17
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Another way Jun 18, 2008

Try this:

Save the bilingual file as .rtf file
Then, make the Workbench cleanup using this .rtf file

All the best

Mafalda

FarkasAndras
FarkasAndras  Identity Verified
English to Hungarian
+ ...
TWB seems to do that when it doesn't like a document Jun 18, 2008

I have no ide why.

My solution is to clean up with the word macro instead of TWB. The only downside is that this way you can't update the TM.

Tools/macro and then tw4winclean.main. Sometimes it works better anyway because TWB may mess up some formatting, so if you don't need a TM update I see no reason to even bother trying to use the TWB clean function.

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Forget it is called "Cleanup" and treat this function from now on only as TM update Jun 18, 2008

Thus you will save you tons of work.
When working with Word:
After your translation is ready, has been proofread and you want to produce the final file for the customer save the file and save also another copy of the same file under a different name, ie. * for cleanup.doc. Now when the delivery file is open press ALT+F8, than put the two letters "TW" in the field for macro name, select the macro mentioned by Andras (tw4winclean.main) and let it run. This will cleanup your document, b
... See more
Thus you will save you tons of work.
When working with Word:
After your translation is ready, has been proofread and you want to produce the final file for the customer save the file and save also another copy of the same file under a different name, ie. * for cleanup.doc. Now when the delivery file is open press ALT+F8, than put the two letters "TW" in the field for macro name, select the macro mentioned by Andras (tw4winclean.main) and let it run. This will cleanup your document, but won't update the TM. But your production (delivery) file is now ready to dispatch.
Now open the copy of the document you saved under the "* for cleanup.doc" name. Remove all graphics, automatic table of context and index list, and save the file as *.rtf. Use it for updating the TM.

When working with Tageditor:
After you are ready with the translation use the function "Save target as..." from the File menu in Tageditor. Your delivery file is now ready. If you need tu update the TM, create a new subdirectory in your project folder, where your original file and the resulting ttx file are saved. Copy the ttx file into this subdirectory and perform the cleanup with this file.

After this process you can delete both the copy of your original document (Word, "* for cleanup.doc) and the rtf you created. When working with Tageditor you can remove the whole subdirectory described above after cleanup.

Should you have already saved all changes in the TM, because you opened the corresponding TUs, changed them and saved into TM, a cleanup is not necessary at all.

BR
Jerzy
Collapse

Annika Hedqvist
Sweden
Member (2008)
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Still get "can't process RTF" Jun 18, 2008

Thank you for your answers!

I actually found the tip on cleaning up using ALT+F8 in a previous discussion. It saved my day.

But even when I save my document (created in Word 2007) as .rtf I get the same "can't process RTF format" message in Workbench when cleaning it up/updating the TM.

And after I tried to clean up the rtf-file Workbench told me: "(33353): end of paragraph not found" when I'
... See more
Thank you for your answers!

I actually found the tip on cleaning up using ALT+F8 in a previous discussion. It saved my day.

But even when I save my document (created in Word 2007) as .rtf I get the same "can't process RTF format" message in Workbench when cleaning it up/updating the TM.

And after I tried to clean up the rtf-file Workbench told me: "(33353): end of paragraph not found" when I'm tried to open a segment in the doc-file. Why is that? Did trying to clean up the rtf-file do something bad to the TM?

One problem seems to create another...
Collapse

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Try to save your doc in "old" rtf format Jun 18, 2008

Most probably Microsoft has again changed the specification of rtf-format.
Pls try again to save the document in an older version of Word (ie as Word 2003 or better as rtf for compatibility with Office 95-2000 or so) and try again.

But... Is the cleanup really necessary? Did you do any changes in the document WITHOUT opening and closing segments and thus changes which do not appear in your TM? Because if NOT, you can forget about all the cleanup stress. It is then not necessar
... See more
Most probably Microsoft has again changed the specification of rtf-format.
Pls try again to save the document in an older version of Word (ie as Word 2003 or better as rtf for compatibility with Office 95-2000 or so) and try again.

But... Is the cleanup really necessary? Did you do any changes in the document WITHOUT opening and closing segments and thus changes which do not appear in your TM? Because if NOT, you can forget about all the cleanup stress. It is then not necessary anymore.

BR
Jerzy
Collapse

Annika Hedqvist
Sweden
Member (2008)
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
No, cleanup isn't really necessary Jun 18, 2008

There seems to be only one option for saving as RTF in Word 2007. There's no way of saving in an old RTF format.

I don't know who I should be angry with here, Word or Trados... But it seems pretty clear that Word 2007 could have been a lot better than it turned out. And Trados could also be much more user friendly, especially considering what we pay for the program. Switching to Word 2003 is probably the answer, but who wants to pay to downgrade? I feel cheated.

But an
... See more
There seems to be only one option for saving as RTF in Word 2007. There's no way of saving in an old RTF format.

I don't know who I should be angry with here, Word or Trados... But it seems pretty clear that Word 2007 could have been a lot better than it turned out. And Trados could also be much more user friendly, especially considering what we pay for the program. Switching to Word 2003 is probably the answer, but who wants to pay to downgrade? I feel cheated.

But anyway, you're right, of course. A cleanup isn't really necessary most of the time. I rarely change things without opening the segment.

Thank you for your help!
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translators Workbench crashes on cleanup

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »