Different target languages in a TM
Thread poster: S_Angel
S_Angel  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 09:05
German to Italian
+ ...
Jun 18, 2008

Hi everybody,
I apologize if there is already a topic about this issue, I tried searching in the forum but I couldn't find anything.

I have a TM (German > Italian) that I should use to extract terminology with Multiterm Extract. When I started the automatic extraction process, a warning message popped up saying that some of the target segments were in a different language. This seems weird since the memory should be German > Italian, maybe there is something wrong with the settings, but I am not totally sure since I am not the author of the TM.

What I would like to know is: is there a fast way to find these segments and - if they are in Italian - correct the language setting, or should I check the tags of each segment by opening the TM in a text editor? I hope there is a faster way to do it, since the TM is rather large!

Thanks a lot for any ideas or suggestions!



Sara


Direct link Reply with quote
 
FarkasAndras
Local time: 09:05
English to Hungarian
+ ...
you were on the right track there Jun 18, 2008

I don't know about the actual problem but finding out of some TUs are incorrectly language-tagged is easy.
Export, open in a text editor and

1) If you know what the supposed intruder language is, search for the its language tag.
2) If you don't, search and replace Seg L=DE and Seg L=IT (language codes are guesses), and replace them all with, say, ***germansegment*** and ***italiansegment***.
Then you can do a search for Seg L= and see if there are any TUs left with a different language code. Change these with S&R, then change german and italian back and done.

Do the replacements in Word, not in Notepad. Notepad is painfully slow at big S&R operations in long texts.

Whew, typing it out took about 5x longer than doing it would take.


Direct link Reply with quote
 
S_Angel  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 09:05
German to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks :) Jun 18, 2008

Thanks a lot FarkasAndras, that should do the trick!


EDIT: I tried doing as you suggested and I couldn't find any other language tag (all target segments are tagged as Italian)! Then I wonder where that warning message came from...

[Modificato alle 2008-06-18 15:03]


Direct link Reply with quote
 


To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:


You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Different target languages in a TM

Advanced search







BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »



Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search