Preparing files for translation - Trados TagEditor - Beginner
Thread poster: niallok
niallok
English
Jun 19, 2008

Hi there,

I am not a translator but I do work for a company who have recently decided to do their own localization and I would like to be able to mark up the files and find out myself what the word count will be before sending them out to translators. They files are in TXT, DOC and XML formats.

Can TagEditor be used to do this? Not everything in the documents require translation so can I manually set tags so as to isolate only the translatable text, or mark the columns that the translatable text is in?

I realise too that Trados is very expensive and would like to avoid buying it if possible, so is there another way this can be done?? There seems to be very little info on howe to do this on the web - is it a closely guarded secret?

Thanks,
Niall

Direct link Reply with quote

Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 01:38
English to Czech
+ ...
Yes, download a demo Jun 19, 2008

Hi Niall, you can download a demo and analyze the files you want to have translated. If there is something you don't want to translate, you may apply the DO_NOT_TRANSLATE style to it in MS Word.
TagEditor can handle many formats and definitely all those you have listed. However, I am afraid the entire program is too complex to be explained in two paragraphs. You will have to scrape through Trados documentation if you want to make the best of the applications, or have one of the translators do the job for you.

niallok
English
TOPIC STARTER
Demo of what? Jun 19, 2008

Thanks Stanislav,

Download a demo of what? Trados? I've searched and searched... and then searched some more, but can't find a demo of Trados anywhere!! Any links I found to demos no longer worked. I even contacted SDL themselves and they couldn't help.
If there is one available can you point me to it please?

Niall

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Preparing files for translation - Trados TagEditor - Beginner

Advanced search

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search