https://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/108226-trados_very_slow_to_open_and_close_segments_since_yesterday.html

Trados very slow to open and close segments since yesterday
Thread poster: Janet Ratziu
Janet Ratziu
Janet Ratziu  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 14:08
French to English
+ ...
Jun 19, 2008

I've got Trados 7 and have been working the past few days on a Word document with no problems.
Today however, it is very lethargic.
Another symptom is that an error message comes up with some translation units that I've already translated, which reads:

New Translation Unit! Use "Set" to add it to the TM.

Any ideas? I can't seem to make my way through the troubleshooting help in Workbench.

Many thanks in advance.

Janet

Spiros Doikas
Spiros Doikas  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:08
Member (2002)
English to Greek
+ ...
Big file? Jun 19, 2008

Are you working on a big file? Does it have many images/graphics? How much RAM do you have? Do other programs function ok on their own right?

If you are working on a big file, split it in smaller ones. See if that makes any difference.

Janet Ratziu
France
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
No, file not that big (1205 ko) Jun 19, 2008

What worries me is that it worked fine last night and has literally changed overnight.
My computer has plenty of available RAM (about 1024 mega) and other programs seem to be working. The doc is full of tables but there's been no problem before.

I tested Trados with another TM and document and it behaves the same. Logically this tells me the problem lies with Trados itself or something besides the document, though admittedly, I'm no expert.

Thank you Spiros for yo
... See more
What worries me is that it worked fine last night and has literally changed overnight.
My computer has plenty of available RAM (about 1024 mega) and other programs seem to be working. The doc is full of tables but there's been no problem before.

I tested Trados with another TM and document and it behaves the same. Logically this tells me the problem lies with Trados itself or something besides the document, though admittedly, I'm no expert.

Thank you Spiros for your input though.
Any other thoughts? I've looked on previous forums but don't find any diagnosis for this same problem.
Collapse

Pere Ferrés Gurt
Pere Ferrés Gurt  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
I have the same problem Jun 20, 2008

I am working with a 33 KB file (no images, no format, no tables, no nothing!), a really small one, and segment opening and closing is incredibly slow.

I work with Trados 8.0 Freelance in a computer running Windows Vista, and it has always been slower than in my prevuous setup - Windows XP and Trados 6.0.
However, in some instances it is desperately slow, as is the case with the file I am working in now.

Is it Trados Fault, or Vista's or both?

Janet Ratziu
France
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Maybe Window's Vista compatibility problem? Jun 20, 2008

In my perusing through former forum postings, I seem to remember reading several that mentioned problems with Vista. You would do well to look there if you haven't already.
I'm afraid I can't help you more than that, it would be the blind leading the blind......

I'm still on Windows XP.
Anyway, I still have no answers.
In the meantime, I'm using an old laptop that luckily still has Trados on it and it's having no problem with my document.
I'll be reinstalling
... See more
In my perusing through former forum postings, I seem to remember reading several that mentioned problems with Vista. You would do well to look there if you haven't already.
I'm afraid I can't help you more than that, it would be the blind leading the blind......

I'm still on Windows XP.
Anyway, I still have no answers.
In the meantime, I'm using an old laptop that luckily still has Trados on it and it's having no problem with my document.
I'll be reinstalling Trados over the weekend on the desktop if no other solutions arrive.

Best of luck
Collapse

Grzegorz Gryc
Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
French to Polish
+ ...
Restore the trados*.dot template... Jun 20, 2008

Janet Ratziu wrote:

I'll be reinstalling Trados over the weekend on the desktop if no other solutions arrive. [/quote]

First of all, try to restore the trados*.dot template.
This kind of problam may occur if the template is corrupted.

You may try to delete the normal.dot file too (if you have some special settings in Word (e.g. macros), rename it and reimport).
The normal.dot will be regenerated automatically when you run Word.

Cheers
GG

Janet Ratziu
France
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I will certainly try your suggestion Grzegorc Jun 20, 2008

I really appreciate your kind words and will let you know what happens.

Thank you very much!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados very slow to open and close segments since yesterday

Translation news related to SDL Trados

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »