How to upgrade from Trados 7 to Trados 2007?
Thread poster: Eleni Makantani
Eleni Makantani
Eleni Makantani
Greece
Local time: 17:51
English to Greek
+ ...
Jun 19, 2008

Hello,

I've just purchased an upgrade from Trados 7 to Trados 2007 and I am downloading the software. Before I do anything bad with the new software on the PC, I'd like to ask those o f you who have upgraded how you did it.

Do I have to unistall Trados 7 first?

The downloads available include:
- SDL Trados 2007 Freelance (includes Service Pack 2)
- SDL MultiTerm 2007 (includes Service Pack 1)
- SDL Trados 2007 Installation Guide
... See more
Hello,

I've just purchased an upgrade from Trados 7 to Trados 2007 and I am downloading the software. Before I do anything bad with the new software on the PC, I'd like to ask those o f you who have upgraded how you did it.

Do I have to unistall Trados 7 first?

The downloads available include:
- SDL Trados 2007 Freelance (includes Service Pack 2)
- SDL MultiTerm 2007 (includes Service Pack 1)
- SDL Trados 2007 Installation Guide
- SDL MultiTerm 7 Desktop Installer - (Version 7.1.0 Build 361)
- SDL MultiTerm 7 Release Notes
- SDL MultiTerm 7 User Guide
- SDL Trados 2006 Freelance - Cumulative Patch 2 (Version 7.5.0.759)
- SDL Trados 2006 Freelance Installation Instructions
- SDL Trados 2006 Freelance Installer - (Version 7.5.0 Build 756)
- SDL Trados Synergy 2006 Client

Do I need to install all of these (evidently, not the instruction manuals...)?
I can't help wandering what I need Trados 2006 for, since I've bought 2007, for instance...
If yes, what is the correct order?

I plan to install it on my Windows XP desktop and my Windows Vista laptop. Both have MS Office 2003, so I don't expect to have compatibility problems.

Many thanks to all of you!

[Edited at 2008-06-19 15:40]
Collapse

Marie-Céline GEORG
Marie-Céline GEORG  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 16:51
German to French
+ ...
Download only version 2007 Jun 19, 2008

Γειά σου Ελένη,

I think that you just need the first three items. The installation guide will tell you if you need to uninstall the previous version, then you can install Trados WB and Multiterm (in that order). IIRC, these files are full versions so you don't need any of the Trados 2006 / Multiterm 7 files.

If you use Multiterm, don't forget to backup your databases in order to be able to retrieve them after the update.
HTH

Marie-Céline

Eleni Makantani
Eleni Makantani
Greece
English to Greek
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Ευχαριστώ πολύ! Jun 19, 2008

Thank you very much, Marie-Celine!

Alexey Ivanov
Alexey Ivanov  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
English to Russian
No big difference Jun 19, 2008

You can first install SDL Trados 2007 and then uninstall SDL Trados 7 any time you feel like it. They don't interfere with each other as they are installed in different folders in the program files on your system disk. However, I recommend you to make backup of your TMs in any of the export formats (tmx/txt) befopre you start the installation, so that you will be able to create new memories and import the data into them and backup of your Multiterm termbases in xml format for the same purpose.... See more
You can first install SDL Trados 2007 and then uninstall SDL Trados 7 any time you feel like it. They don't interfere with each other as they are installed in different folders in the program files on your system disk. However, I recommend you to make backup of your TMs in any of the export formats (tmx/txt) befopre you start the installation, so that you will be able to create new memories and import the data into them and backup of your Multiterm termbases in xml format for the same purpose.
As to choosing what to install and what to skip, please bear in mind that all of the Trados components in the new version (including Trados TWB, Tageditor, Multiterm etc.) are managed from a totally new element - GUI called "Synergy. It also includes the Manuals. In fact it is rather convenient to have them all in one place to be able to quickly select one of them. The inconvenient part (for me, at least) is that it keeps the files you work with in a predefined project structure in a predefined location. As I use Translation Office 3000 for project management, creating a duplicate project in Synergy seems a bit too much hassle. Moreover for security of data I keep my TO 3000 project folders on another HD, different from the drive on which the system (and all the Trados files, including translation projects under the new version) are located. Keeping the data on the system HD is risky inview of a possible system crash.
For this reason I tried to skip installing Synergy and the manuals but the TWB worked haltingly after that and often crashed when working on rtf files. So, I reinstalled the complete version and now it works all right. I accept that maybe it has absolutely no bearing on skipping the Synergy during the installation. As usual with Trados you can never tell for sure.
But as to the order of installation the new version/deinstallation of the old version it really does not matter as long as you have backed up the data.
I hope that helps.
Kind regards,

Alex
Collapse

Marie-Céline GEORG
Marie-Céline GEORG  Identity Verified
France
German to French
+ ...
You can work without Synergy Jun 19, 2008

Hi Alex,
Regarding Synergy, I agree that it's not always practical and I don't use it at all. I didn't even try to uninstall it, I simply deleted the Synergy shortcut from the Desktop - I didn't even notice that Synergy forced you to use a specific file structure because I just had a look at it and decided I didn't need it !
You can go on working as usual with TagEditor / Workbench / Multiterm without Synergy, using y
... See more
Hi Alex,
Regarding Synergy, I agree that it's not always practical and I don't use it at all. I didn't even try to uninstall it, I simply deleted the Synergy shortcut from the Desktop - I didn't even notice that Synergy forced you to use a specific file structure because I just had a look at it and decided I didn't need it !
You can go on working as usual with TagEditor / Workbench / Multiterm without Synergy, using your personal HD and file structure.

HTH
Marie-Céline
Collapse

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)
Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 21:51
English to Thai
+ ...
Do not forget the service pack Jun 20, 2008

SDL Trados 2007 has service pack software for better performance. Please seek and install it. You also use MultiTerm 7 with Trados 2007.

Regards,
Soonthon L.

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
Some tips to get you started... Jun 20, 2008

Hello Eleni,

Here are some helpful tips:

We recommend you download and install SDL Trados 2007 (including Service Pack 2) before Multiterm 2007 (including Service Pack 1).

At the end of your installation you will be asked for an activation code. You can retrieve this from your online SDL account at the followi
... See more
Hello Eleni,

Here are some helpful tips:

We recommend you download and install SDL Trados 2007 (including Service Pack 2) before Multiterm 2007 (including Service Pack 1).

At the end of your installation you will be asked for an activation code. You can retrieve this from your online SDL account at the following website:

Please visit: https://oos.sdl.com/asp/products/ssl/account/default.asp

Multiterm will not need an activation code.

One last thing, please make sure you register your SDL Trados 2007 software files to Windows by running the following file:

Please go to Start -> All Programs -> SDL International -> SDL Trados 2007 -> Trados and then run the "Register SDL Trados 2007” .bat file. If you are using Windows Vista then you will need to right click on "Register SDL Trados 2007" and select "Run as Administrator" from the menu.

Please do this whenever you are switching from using one version of Trados to using SDL Trados 2007.

I hope this helps.

Many Thanks,

Gareth Powell
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to upgrade from Trados 7 to Trados 2007?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »