Thread poster: Dra Molnar
Dra Molnar
Dra Molnar  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 13:44
Italian to German
+ ...
Jun 19, 2008

A colleague has sold me her Trados 5.5 Freelance licence which I successfully installed on my laptop (Windows XP, Word 2003). Today I have tried to translate my first Word file with Trados...but it is impossible!

I followed the instructions of the manual(s), created a project with Quick Project Setup and then started the translation from Workspace by selecting the word file and then clicking on Translate with word. Word and Workbench with the right TM are launched but as soon as I t
... See more
A colleague has sold me her Trados 5.5 Freelance licence which I successfully installed on my laptop (Windows XP, Word 2003). Today I have tried to translate my first Word file with Trados...but it is impossible!

I followed the instructions of the manual(s), created a project with Quick Project Setup and then started the translation from Workspace by selecting the word file and then clicking on Translate with word. Word and Workbench with the right TM are launched but as soon as I try to begin my translation by clicking Open [(] the following message appears in Workbench: "Outdated document template (TW4Win2k.dot or earlier). Please use current version of TRADOS5.dot"

I have installed Trados directly from the original CD, the dongle works fine, I have copied the TRADOS5.dot (and on my hard disk there is no template like TW4Win2k.dot. TW4Win97.dot or TW4Win.dot) directly from the Trados Template Folder to the Word Template folder, the TRADOS toolbar is displayed in Word...but I can't translate!!!

I would appreciate any hint to solve my problem...
Thank you very much!
Dragana
Collapse

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Upgrade Trados, or downgrade Word Jun 19, 2008

Hi Dragana,
Trados 5.x predates Office 2003 by several years - the two are incompatible, AFAIR.

Best regards,
Ralf

Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
English to German
+ ...
As Ralf says... Jun 19, 2008

Hi! downgrade word to 97 edition or upgrade to one of the latter versions of Trados 7.1, 2006 etc., Only yesterday I found there is a xp sp3 and microsoft had just downloaded to my comp through remote support. I find that great. May be trados people adapt to this philosophy. Brandis

Dra Molnar
Italy
Italian to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Outch!!!! Jun 19, 2008

So it seems that I made a bad buy...

And according to the Trados download philosophy I can't upgrade from version 5.5...what a mess!

Does it make sense to search for an upgrade to version 6.x? And if yes, where could I find it?
Thank you!
Dragana

Grzegorz Gryc
Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
French to Polish
+ ...
Newer template... Jun 20, 2008

Dragana Molnar M.A. wrote:

So it seems that I made a bad buy...

And according to the Trados download philosophy I can't upgrade from version 5.5...what a mess!

Try to use a newer Trados template (trados?.dot) instead of the file provided wiith Trados 5.5.

Does it make sense to search for an upgrade to version 6.x? And if yes, where could I find it?

No way.

Cheers
GG

itaharold
itaharold
Germany
German to English
+ ...
Trados 5.5 Jun 21, 2008

Hi Dragana

Ralf is absolutely right.
You should trash Trados V5.5 (= obsolete) and purchase SDL Trados 2006 Freelance or later to avoid such compatibility problems.
A friendly piece of advice: instead of purchasing Trados V6.x or V7.x, toss your bread out of the window for a more rewarding experience. :=)

Best regards

Harold

Anna Villegas
Anna Villegas
Mexico
Local time: 05:44
English to Spanish
Can you... Jun 21, 2008

downgrade to Office 2000?

That's your solution.

Dra Molnar
Italy
Italian to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Danke schön, dziekuje bardzo and muchas gracias! Jun 21, 2008

In the meantime I also did some research and downgrading Word to Office 2000 seems to be the only solution to solve my problem. I will do so asap...

Thank you Ralf, Brandis, Grzegorz and Tadzio!
Best regards from hot Sicily,
Dragana

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados 5.5, butI can't translate with Word - "Outdated document template"

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »