rikkie
rikkie
Australia
Local time: 12:06
English to Japanese
+ ...
Jun 22, 2008

Hi everyone,

I am tring to install MultiTerm (SDLMultiTerm2007DesktopSP1.exe) but the following message appears so that I cannot install it:

SDL MultiTerm 2007 Desktop SP1 (Title of the error message dialog box)
There is not enough space on drive C:\ to extract this package.

My drive C has 15 GB of available memory, so the message surprised me.

Does anyone experience the above message when trying MultiTerm?
If so, could
... See more
Hi everyone,

I am tring to install MultiTerm (SDLMultiTerm2007DesktopSP1.exe) but the following message appears so that I cannot install it:

SDL MultiTerm 2007 Desktop SP1 (Title of the error message dialog box)
There is not enough space on drive C:\ to extract this package.

My drive C has 15 GB of available memory, so the message surprised me.

Does anyone experience the above message when trying MultiTerm?
If so, could you tell me how to fix this?

--------------------------------
I even select another drive F that has 90 GB of available memory as a location where the installer program tried to extract the package. However, the same message appeared -- yes, the message still says "drive C:\", not drive F.

Later I learnt from the SDL website that SDL Tados 2007 Freelance should be installed only after MultiTerm. So I uninstalled the SDL Tados then tried to install MultiTerm again. But the same error message still appears...
---------------------------------

Many thanks

yimai
Collapse

Jack Qin
Jack Qin  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 10:06
English to Chinese
+ ...
something wrong with Multiterm? Jun 22, 2008

I also encountered many problems concerning the installation of SDL Trados, including the problem you mentioned.

After increasing the memory of my PC, the the same problem I came across as yours was tackled automatically.

Now I install Trados in another disc, not drive C.

My system configuration:
Memory: 1.58GHZ, 736 MB. Available space in drive C: nearly 4 GB which is smaller than yours.

I guess two possibilities:
Firstly, the m
... See more
I also encountered many problems concerning the installation of SDL Trados, including the problem you mentioned.

After increasing the memory of my PC, the the same problem I came across as yours was tackled automatically.

Now I install Trados in another disc, not drive C.

My system configuration:
Memory: 1.58GHZ, 736 MB. Available space in drive C: nearly 4 GB which is smaller than yours.

I guess two possibilities:
Firstly, the memory of your PC is not enough, not the available space in drive C;

Secondly, something wrong with your Multiterm software.

The above-mentioned is my point of view, for your reference only.

Jack
Collapse

rikkie
rikkie
Australia
English to Japanese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Probably not RAM issue... Jun 22, 2008

Hi Jack,

Thank you for your suggestions.

>My system configuration:
>Memory: 1.58GHZ, 736 MB. Available space in drive C: nearly 4 GB which is smaller >than yours.

My PC's system configuration is:
Memory: Pentium 4, 1.8 GHz, 512 MB

Since the error message describes "space" which is not enough in Drive C, hopefully it is not a RAM issue.

I'm again downloading the installer program of MultiTerm, hoping that the new downl
... See more
Hi Jack,

Thank you for your suggestions.

>My system configuration:
>Memory: 1.58GHZ, 736 MB. Available space in drive C: nearly 4 GB which is smaller >than yours.

My PC's system configuration is:
Memory: Pentium 4, 1.8 GHz, 512 MB

Since the error message describes "space" which is not enough in Drive C, hopefully it is not a RAM issue.

I'm again downloading the installer program of MultiTerm, hoping that the new download will work properly.

yimai
Collapse

FarkasAndras
FarkasAndras  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:06
English to Hungarian
+ ...
try memory Jun 22, 2008

What the message says is just a rough orientation (after all we know how software is translated)

So try to free up as much memory as possible, you may get lucky for all we know. Restart the computer and shut down all non-essential applications like skype or anything you see in your taskbar. Press ctrl+alt+del and shut down all processes that use memory and belong to programs you know. Kill the internet connection and switch off the antivirus program etc.

Then try the in
... See more
What the message says is just a rough orientation (after all we know how software is translated)

So try to free up as much memory as possible, you may get lucky for all we know. Restart the computer and shut down all non-essential applications like skype or anything you see in your taskbar. Press ctrl+alt+del and shut down all processes that use memory and belong to programs you know. Kill the internet connection and switch off the antivirus program etc.

Then try the install. I guess it's unlikely that it should work but you have nothing to lose.
Collapse

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
Local time: 04:06
English
Temporary Files... Jun 23, 2008

Hello Yimai,

The problem is most likely due to insufficient space in your temporary files. This is where some programs store temporary information. I would recommend you clean the folder using Disk Cleanup, go to Start -> All Programs -> Accessories -> System Tools -> Disk Cleanup and select the Temporary Files option from the list.

OR

If you would rather manually verify and delete these files, please visit the following website for a helpful guide:
<
... See more
Hello Yimai,

The problem is most likely due to insufficient space in your temporary files. This is where some programs store temporary information. I would recommend you clean the folder using Disk Cleanup, go to Start -> All Programs -> Accessories -> System Tools -> Disk Cleanup and select the Temporary Files option from the list.

OR

If you would rather manually verify and delete these files, please visit the following website for a helpful guide:

http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000225.htm

I hope this helps.

Many Thanks,

Gareth Powell
Collapse

rikkie
rikkie
Australia
English to Japanese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Problem solved! Jun 23, 2008

Thank you again to those who gave me advice.
The conclusion is that the problem was solved by freeing up RAM, not hard disk.

I'm writing how things went below, hoping it would help someone else with the similar situaiton in future...

If any of the following attempts to free more memory do not help the installer run...

- removing temporary files
- deleting unnecessary programs
- deflagmented the drive
- rebooted the PC

th
... See more
Thank you again to those who gave me advice.
The conclusion is that the problem was solved by freeing up RAM, not hard disk.

I'm writing how things went below, hoping it would help someone else with the similar situaiton in future...

If any of the following attempts to free more memory do not help the installer run...

- removing temporary files
- deleting unnecessary programs
- deflagmented the drive
- rebooted the PC

the cause might be that the installer is huge in size and therefore use lots from the RAM.

My RAM size is 512 MB for Windows XP Home edition.
Due to many startup programs running in the background, the RAM capacity was probably not enough for the installer.

What solved my problem is:

To disable startup items:

1. Exit from all applications.
2. Choose Start > Run, and type msconfig and click OK.
3. In the system config utility box, click the Startup tab, and click the Disable All button.
4. Click OK, and restart Windows.
5. Try installing the app

To re-enable the startup items when you are done installing:

1. Choose Start > Run, and type msconfig again and click OK.
2. Click the Startup tab, and select Enable All.
3. Click OK, and restart Windows.

If anti-virus software is part of startup items, it should be important to disconnect the PC from the Internet while the software is not running.
Collapse

Yuri Dubrov
Yuri Dubrov  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 05:06
English to Russian
+ ...
Another way of solving this problem Jul 19, 2008

The problem ist that the installer does not work properly.

1. Try to extract files from SDLMultiTerm2007DesktopSP1.exe using Total Commander ver. 7.02 into to a directory on your hand disk.

2. Then start the installation from there clicking on start.exe.

Pls note: earlier versions of Multiterm may have a corrupted installation package.
Try to find a fresh version.

[Bearbeitet am 2008-07-19 20:51]

jason cheng
jason cheng
Local time: 10:06
English to Chinese
a easy and simple way to tackle the problem Jul 21, 2009

create a new folder in disk C: and extract multiterm into it, then everything is going to be ok.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

"Not enough space" message when installing MultiTerm

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »