United States
Local time: 05:36
Member (2005)
German to English
+ ...
Jun 23, 2008

Hi folks.
First, the proprieties: TRADOS Freelance 2006, MSWord 2003, XP

I have been given Word files that make use of automatic numbering for figures and tables.

When translating with TRADOS in MSWord, the fact that TRADOS copies the caption into the English line now doubles the number of captions and appropriately increases the numbers.

Then, when just looking at the English, I end up with

Figure 2
Figure 4
Figure 6

and it gets worse if there are figure references in the text.

Am I doing something wrong or does TRADOS just not work well enough with MSWord to handle this?

How do you all handle it? That is, how do you retain auto numbering in the English but not skip every other number?

Thanks for any information.

Yours,
cantrell

Direct link Reply with quote

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 14:36
English to German
+ ...
Run a cleanup, or use TagEditor Jun 23, 2008

Hi Cantrell,
This problem should solve itself automatically after cleanup - better still: use TagEditor.

Best regards,
Ralf

jccantrell  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2005)
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Cleanup Jun 23, 2008

Unfortunately, Ralf, cleanup died when processing the file, giving me an error with (I am not on that machine now, so this is from memory)

File could not be processed because of OLE or file naming error.

So, I could not clean it.

Germany
English to German
+ ...
tw4winClean.Main Jun 23, 2008

Hi again,
Another reason for using TagEditor...

You can use the tw4winClean.Main macro (search this forum for more details); remember that this 'forced' cleanup will not update your TM, nor will an uncleaned backup be created.

Best, Ralf

United States
Member (2005)
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Tageditor Jun 23, 2008

Ralf,

OK, now I need to be held by the hand.

The job is gone, so this is theoretical at this point. However, i can see this coming up again and again in the future.

I translated the file in MSWord. If I wanted to use tageditor at this point, can I? If so, how?

Yours,
cantrell

Germany
English to German
+ ...
TagEditor vs. Word Jun 23, 2008

Hi again,

I translated the file in MSWord. If I wanted to use tageditor at this point, can I? If so, how?

Not on the translated file, as this is already bilingual and the tags are not compatible with tagging in TagEditor. What you could do is to open the source file in TagEditor and re-translate it from the TM - however, you would need to add some tags to segments, so that's no use unless you envisage a very similar document to come up in the future.

Why don't you just open the source file, just translate some segments around (and including) the headings you referred to, and then "Save as target", just to see how the process works?

HTH, Ralf

United States
Member (2005)
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Will try it. Jun 23, 2008

OK, Ralf,

I will give this a try. In addition, that macro may provide some relief.

The more I play with this program, the more I learn that I do not know.

Thanks for your help.

Yours,
cantrell

Ken Cox  Identity Verified
German to English
+ ...
further comment Jun 23, 2008

Back to your original question: automatic numbering means exactly that: the autonumbering field is incremented automatically on each occurrence, so if you have one occurrence in the source segment and another occurence in the target segment, they will have successive numbers.
This will all resolve itself when the document is cleaned, since half of the occurrences will disappear and the remaining occurrences will be adjusted automatically (or if they aren't, simply select the entire document text and press F9). If you can't clean the document for some reason, IMO 'bogus' autonumbering is the least of your worries.

[Edited at 2008-06-23 19:10]

[Edited at 2008-06-23 19:12]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

MSWord auto numbering

Advanced search

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search