Johan Bouman  Identity Verified
Romania
Local time: 10:27
Member (2009)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Jun 26, 2008

Dear All,

I only recently started using trados 2007. A client sent me a set of files with a tm and a couple of 'trados index files'. I don't know how to use them, can anyone help? Thanks!

Oh, and another question: do i really have to use the tag editor to translate html files? Because they can also be opened in MS Word.

Thanks!
Johan Bouman

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2008-06-26 23:35]

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)
Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 15:27
English to Thai
+ ...
TM and TagEditor Jun 27, 2008

>I don't know how to use them, can anyone help? Thanks!
It is a file in set of 5 files for TM. Trados, not yo, will create it automatically when TM is created. If index file is lost, you may not retrieve segments/words in TM.

>do i really have to use the tag editor to translate html files? Because they can also be opened in MS Word.
TagEditor is better for many aspects: better preservation of foreign characters (e.g. prevention of corrupted characters) or symbols, tags a
... See more
>I don't know how to use them, can anyone help? Thanks!
It is a file in set of 5 files for TM. Trados, not yo, will create it automatically when TM is created. If index file is lost, you may not retrieve segments/words in TM.

>do i really have to use the tag editor to translate html files? Because they can also be opened in MS Word.
TagEditor is better for many aspects: better preservation of foreign characters (e.g. prevention of corrupted characters) or symbols, tags are controlled carefully, many documents cannot be translated in Word but in TagEditor.

Regards,
Soonthon L.
Collapse

Stefan Gentz
Stefan Gentz
Local time: 09:27
English to German
+ ...
Never ever edit client's HTML files in Word! Jun 27, 2008

Johan Bouman wrote:
Oh, and another question: do i really have to use the tag editor to translate html files? Because they can also be opened in MS Word.

Johan, you should never edit your client's HTML files in Word, unless your client explicitly asks you to do so. Word is not able to handle html files properly. You will be able to open the HTML files in word, but once you edit and save it in Word, Word adds tons of junk to the file. You can try it and compare the HTML files in Windows Notepad ("aka "Edit") or any better plain text / code editor. You will see that word will have completely destroyed the client's html source code structure.

TagEditor is the only appropriate tool here. Make sure that you understand the html language and the meaning of tags if you translate html files and carefully check TagEditor's warning messages if you have deleted or inserted wrong tags.

There's only one scenario where you should translate client's html files in MS Word: If you want to be sure that you client will reject your delivery and will never work with you again

Kind regards,
Stefan Gentz
TRACOM OHG

Johan Bouman
Johan Bouman  Identity Verified
Romania
Local time: 10:27
Member (2009)
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thanks Jun 27, 2008

For the help, people! That was really good advice.

Johan Bouman

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What can I do with Trados index files?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »