Can't access .inx file text in SDLX or in TagEditor
Thread poster: Sonia Gouin

Sonia Gouin  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 15:23
English to French
Jun 28, 2008

I am translating catalog pages which were generated in InDesign CS2. Files were exported to .inx format. When I open .inx file in InDesign, I see the text, no problem but when I view the file in SDLX or TagEditor, only about 10 lines are visible. Also, when I run an Analyse, total wordcount comes out to 13 words. Where is the text? I have received 5 files from the client and only 2 are behaving in such a way.
Has anyone come across such a problem before?
Thanks for any help you can provide...
Sonia

Direct link Reply with quote

Selcuk Akyuz  Identity Verified
Turkey
Local time: 23:23
Member (2006)
English to Turkish
+ ...
Outlines? Jun 28, 2008

Perhaps the texts, which were not imported by TagEditor, are outlines. I don't know if outlines can be converted back to true text.

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 03:23
Member (2004)
English to Thai
+ ...
SDL Trados patch Jun 30, 2008

There is SDL Trados patch for this error.
Please check at SDL Trados Knowledgebase.

Regards,
Soonthon L.

tectranslate ITS GmbH
Local time: 21:23
German
+ ...
Layers Jun 30, 2008

Is the affected text on a layer that has been locked against editing? Trados respects that and does not process text on layers that are locked or hidden by default.

If you are perfectly sure you need to translate that text, you can either unlock the affected layers and re-export the .inx files (recommended) or override that setting with the Filter Settings applet in the Trados Start menu group.

HTH,
Benjamin

Sonia Gouin  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 15:23
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
Problem fixed by using .indd source file vs exporting to .inx format Jun 30, 2008

Thank you all for your replies.

It seems that the inx filters were not functionning because I did not have all required links and fonts. In SDLX, I was able to initiate an .itd file directly from the .indd file. That fixed my problem. I will however definitely download the hotfixes from SDL Trados. Thanks for the tip.
Sonia

tectranslate ITS GmbH
Local time: 21:23
German
+ ...
Links and fonts Jun 30, 2008

Sonia Gouin wrote:

It seems that the inx filters were not functionning because I did not have all required links and fonts.

That is extremely unlikely. Having the fonts and linked pictures is not a prerequisite for translating an .indd/.inx file.

90% of the InDesign files we translate come without fonts and/or linked resources and this never causes any problems.

I'm not doubting that your .itd approach solved the problem - congratulations on that - but I wouldn't want people reading this thread to get the wrong impression about the possible causes for the initial problem.

Regards,
Benjamin

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Can't access .inx file text in SDLX or in TagEditor

Advanced search

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search