Warning: Problems after installation of Norton 360
Thread poster: Jennifer Gruendler

Jennifer Gruendler  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:14
German to English
Jul 1, 2008

FYI to anybody thinking of installing Norton 360 or those of you who already have, I discovered there are some minor compatibility issues with the Trados Workbench.

When trying to connect to a TM server, I got this error message:

Translator’s Workbench cannot connect to the following TM Server: tcp://etranslate.cls.ch:8503.
(50602): Unable to decode credentials for the desired translation memory. Check to see that MSXML4 and the high encryption pack are installed.

After spending several hours trying to fix the problem and unfortunately in my desperation purchasing a support contract, I was told that this issue has popped up before and that I should completely uninstall MSXML4 (through the control panel, I had 3 versions of it on mine) and then reinstall MSXML4 from the Microsoft site.

This worked thank goodness, although I was warned that one customer ended up having to completely reinstall the entire OS to get things working again.

Hopefully this post can save one or two people a bit of time and the expense of getting help from Trados. I was unable to find any mention of it on the Internet while I was troubleshooting.

Good luck!

Direct link Reply with quote

Lawyer-Linguist  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:14
Dutch to English
+ ...
Thank you Jennifer Jul 1, 2008

This is extremely kind of you, thanks.

My own Norton is coming up for renewal shortly, so I know what to avoid

Best regards

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Norton 360... Jul 1, 2008

Hello Jennifer,

I'm glad that this particular problem was resolved.

For the other users who experience the same error, please follow these instructions:

1. Please go to Start -> Settings-> Control Panel -> Add or Remove Programs and then all MSXML versions will be listed here.
2. Now reinstall MSXML 4.0

For those of you who do not have MSXML 4.0, please visit this link:

I hope this helps.

Many Thanks,

Gareth Powell

[Edited at 2008-07-01 16:24]

Noël Purcell-O'Byrne
Member (2007)
French to English
+ ...
I have Norton 360 Jul 1, 2008

But I had to uninstall it before I could install SDL Trados 2007. Then reinstall it once Trados was up and running. Since then, I do not have any problems with it.

Barbara Trespidini  Identity Verified
English to Italian
+ ...
same problem without Norton 360 Jun 11, 2013

Hello everyone!
Using one of my computers, I receive the same error message when I try to connect to a specific server TM owned by one of my clients, even if Norton 360 is not installed. I can connect to the same TM with the other computer without any problems. I have reinstalled MSXML 4.0 but I couldn't solve the problem. Is there any other solution apart from reinstalling the OS, which is something I have never done and I am afraid to do?

Barbara Trespidini  Identity Verified
English to Italian
+ ...
solution Jul 3, 2013

Hello everyone!
I just wanted you to know that I finally found a solution.
After receiving another error message, this time not with SDL Trados 2007 but with SDL Studio 2009, I followed the advice provided in this discussion:

Unexpectedly, this operation solved this problem as well!
The first time, I probably downloaded the wrong version of the msxml file. I can't find any other explanation.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Warning: Problems after installation of Norton 360

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 only €415 / $495
Get the cheapest prices for SDL Trados Studio 2017 on ProZ.com

Join this translator’s group buy brought to you by ProZ.com and buy SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance for only €415 / $495 / £325 / ¥60,000 You will also receive FREE access to our getting started eLearning program!

More info »

• All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search