https://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/109439-trados_would_not_open_a_word_file_with_text_frames_and_tables.html

Trados would not open a Word File with text frames and tables!
Thread poster: Ieva Englund
Ieva Englund
Ieva Englund
Sweden
Local time: 23:40
Swedish to Latvian
+ ...
Jul 5, 2008

Hello,

Quite urgent problem I created a .doc file in Open Office Writer, which contains quite many text frames and tables to transltae the document in Trados, but Trados 2007 would not open the file. In the segment process the progam chrashes and says "unknown" error...

I have tried several computers (with and without MS Word), does not help. Has somebody ben in a similar situation and can help?
<
... See more
Hello,

Quite urgent problem I created a .doc file in Open Office Writer, which contains quite many text frames and tables to transltae the document in Trados, but Trados 2007 would not open the file. In the segment process the progam chrashes and says "unknown" error...

I have tried several computers (with and without MS Word), does not help. Has somebody ben in a similar situation and can help?

I would be veeery greatful!
Ieva
Collapse

Kevin Lossner
Kevin Lossner  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 22:40
German to English
+ ...
"Translate the document in Trados"? Jul 5, 2008

What exactly do you mean by that? Were you trying to work with the macros, or were you working on a document in TagEditor?

Ieva Englund
Ieva Englund
Sweden
Swedish to Latvian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
crazy :) Jul 6, 2008

I received 2 documents from the client. One .doc document and one uneditable pdf. So I thought I will rewrite the pdf and translate all the documents at the same time as there were many repetitions. I created the document in OO Writer, it contained many text boxes and tables and then saved first as .odt then .doc document.

When I tried to open it in Trados (first TagEditor) then with macros, Tados would not translat the text inside the text boxes or tables, it just jumped over as t
... See more
I received 2 documents from the client. One .doc document and one uneditable pdf. So I thought I will rewrite the pdf and translate all the documents at the same time as there were many repetitions. I created the document in OO Writer, it contained many text boxes and tables and then saved first as .odt then .doc document.

When I tried to open it in Trados (first TagEditor) then with macros, Tados would not translat the text inside the text boxes or tables, it just jumped over as they were pictures (the first part I received from the client and which also contained frames and tables, worked ok in TaEditor). I tried to go via SDL Synergy and create a project to create Trados files, the program crashed.

At the end I had to take away all the text boxes and tables ceated in OO writer and then it worked. I have never had this problem before. It seems that it depended on the formating (tex boxes, tables) done in OO Writer. Very frustrating.

Regards,
Ieva
Collapse

Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
My 2 cents Jul 7, 2008

When doing the inverse of printing (i.e. doing OCRing on a PDF file) to get the text for the purpose of translating, it makes much sense to produce the output as a simple TXT file (no formatting), so that all those text boxes and other half-cooked props do not get into the way while translating.

I said much sense, but it is not all of the sense: the formatting is eventually missing in the translation. However, this is something to be argued with the client: if they expect a formatt
... See more
When doing the inverse of printing (i.e. doing OCRing on a PDF file) to get the text for the purpose of translating, it makes much sense to produce the output as a simple TXT file (no formatting), so that all those text boxes and other half-cooked props do not get into the way while translating.

I said much sense, but it is not all of the sense: the formatting is eventually missing in the translation. However, this is something to be argued with the client: if they expect a formatted output, they should either produce a formatted source from the beginning or pay extra for formatting the translation (with the right of first refusal).

Because as my grandmother said: an apple is no pear. And formatting is not translating.

[Edited at 2008-07-07 10:00]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados would not open a Word File with text frames and tables!

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »