Vito Smolej
Germany
Local time: 00:10
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Jul 8, 2008

... when trying to add a new record to the Termbase. Termbase (or bases, the same thing for all) are / have always been OK. Java is OK - have the console turned on and it comes on right after I press the Add entry button. And then on Save entry message box appears with the caption "Microsoft Internet expl.") saying just null pointer.

I think to remember having this kind of troubles some time ago - it was the IIS scripting engine and it looks like its missing. Or maybe ...
<
... See more
... when trying to add a new record to the Termbase. Termbase (or bases, the same thing for all) are / have always been OK. Java is OK - have the console turned on and it comes on right after I press the Add entry button. And then on Save entry message box appears with the caption "Microsoft Internet expl.") saying just null pointer.

I think to remember having this kind of troubles some time ago - it was the IIS scripting engine and it looks like its missing. Or maybe ...

D*n ... Just writing about it helped: It's Vista. And me, not running the program as an administrator. It works, if you run MultiTerm as an administrator. Of course the MTMaster.mdb is then not what it used to be etc ...

So let me rephrase the question: how should I set up my account or environment under Vista to get the appropriate rights?

TiA

[EDIT - after sleeping on it]: it's not Vista, it's not me, it's the rules of the game. Let me explain: I do not hold TermBases in the default place (AppData etc). It has historical reasons - C: drive bloating up and eventually you fight for every 10 Megabytes you can have, while the MultiTerm material grows and grows. So I got used to storing them all on a nice fat USB device (adjusting MTBMaster etc...) . No problem under XP.

This time no way Jose: "scope of control = scope of effect" meaning under Vista the files on the USB device are not in your user's backyard anymore and the first moment the Access is supposed to change anything in some MDB, it bucks up. OF COURSE with a cryptic burp (see above) leaving you red-eared and feeling stupid.

Well, I assume (based on experience) this is not all. Wait for further installments (sigh)...

[Edited at 2008-07-09 04:30]
Collapse

Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
SITE LOCALIZER
Hasta la vista, baby Jul 9, 2008

the saga continues:

Iff TWB is started in the administrator mode, MultiTerm connection works (but not with my intended setup, looks like yet another MTMaster.mdb).

So what I will have to do, is search for the place, where the admin is supposed to hold its data (looks like the Sample MutiTerm file is already there) and then move my sheep there.

"The voice of one crying aloud: 'In the Desert prepare a road ...": Am I the only one having a MultiTerm problem un
... See more
the saga continues:

Iff TWB is started in the administrator mode, MultiTerm connection works (but not with my intended setup, looks like yet another MTMaster.mdb).

So what I will have to do, is search for the place, where the admin is supposed to hold its data (looks like the Sample MutiTerm file is already there) and then move my sheep there.

"The voice of one crying aloud: 'In the Desert prepare a road ...": Am I the only one having a MultiTerm problem under Vista? Or, let me rephrase it: am I the only one, who has not given it up the hope of being able to use MultiTerm in these new, changed, frosty conditions?
Collapse

Stefan de Boeck (X)
Stefan de Boeck (X)  Identity Verified
Belgium
English to Dutch
+ ...
maybe baby Jul 9, 2008

Vito Smolej wrote:
Iff TWB is started in the administrator mode, MultiTerm connection works.

I don't get this. If you're using Trados FL, TWB automatically starts in exclusive mode (it's the only mode).
If you're the only user on your computer, you're (semi-automatically) the administrator.
This is exactly -or almost- as it was/is on XP.

Vito Smolej wrote:
So what I will have to do, is search for the place, where the admin is supposed to hold its data and then move my sheep there.

No, you don't.
You can save the MXW_n.mdb files anywhere.
MultiTerm saves the lot for its own purposes in C/ProgramData/SDL International/Multiterm/Termbases.

Vito Smolej wrote:
Am I the only one, who has not given up hope of being able to use MultiTerm in these new, changed, frosty conditions?

Don't give up.

Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
SITE LOCALIZER
Few facts Jul 9, 2008

I don't get this. If you're using Trados FL, TWB automatically starts in exclusive mode (it's the only mode).

I dont get it either. But running TWB as is and running it with the "Run as administrator" right-click makes a difference.
You can save the MXW_n.mdb files anywhere.
So it should not make a difference where they are, right? Fact is, either it does (the hypothesis of 6AM this morning) or there's something else (singular or in plural) fishy about the situation.

I have exactly the same SDL TRADOS software on my notebook XP and there's no problem with it - except the slow hardware, small disk, display that's my wall. And the hardplace is my new PC Siemens Fujitsu, with Vista on C, that does not want me use trados, does not recognize my old trustful printer, has these sucky shadow fonts (urgh...) and makes me in general feel all thumbs. And in between the wall and the hard place it's me just trying to mind my own business.

Don't give up.
My wife has a different opinion.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Null pointer error in MultiTerm

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »