Thread poster: ShadedSkies
ShadedSkies
France
Local time: 08:17
English to French
+ ...
Jul 9, 2008

Hello,

I have a question regarding the license of the freelance version of SDL TRADOS 7 service pack. I work for an international organization and the senior translator/reviser of the French section would like to buy TRADOS for himself, but would also like his secretary to have access to the software to manage the TMs, etc. Is it possible to buy the whole pack for one person but install it on several computers? Or would we have to buy TRADOS two times? Or is there any way to buy a separate license?

Thanks a lot for any help.

Regards,

H.L

Direct link Reply with quote

Wojciech Froelich  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
Buy Pro Jul 9, 2008

Buy floating Professional license, install license server (you don't need the server machine, you can install it on a workstation that will be turned on 24/7) and the license will be available for any user connecting to the license server (plus you can borrow the license and unplug from the local network). Of course 1 license means 1 user at the specific time.

ShadedSkies
France
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Installing Freelance on 2 machines Jul 9, 2008

Wojciech Froelich wrote:

Buy floating Professional license, install license server (you don't need the server machine, you can install it on a workstation that will be turned on 24/7) and the license will be available for any user connecting to the license server (plus you can borrow the license and unplug from the local network). Of course 1 license means 1 user at the specific time.

Thanks for the advice. But our problem is that we would like to avoid having to buy the pro version, knowing that the secretary won't be using it that often.

I read through various posts similar to my issue, and found out that one license of the freelance version can be installed on 2 different computers, although the software can't be used on the 2 computers at the same time. And this solution seems to suit him since he's the one who'll be using it 80% of the time. Can anyone confirm that 2 instances of TRADOS 7 Freelance can be installed on 2 different computers, but working with the same translation memory?

Wojciech Froelich  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
Contact SDL Jul 9, 2008

You should contact SDL – I don't know if it's possible to buy Freelance version with assumption it will be used in the company by more users.

Åsa Campbell  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 16:47
English to Swedish
Trados on 2 computers Jul 9, 2008

Hi,

You can install Trados 2007 Freelance on two computers but NOT if they are on the same network.

From what I understand from your post this would not work for you, I suggest you follow Wojciech's advice and contact SDL.

Åsa

ShadedSkies
France
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Contacting SDL Jul 9, 2008

Åsa Campbell wrote:

Hi,

You can install Trados 2007 Freelance on two computers but NOT if they are on the same network.

From what I understand from your post this would not work for you, I suggest you follow Wojciech's advice and contact SDL.

Åsa

So this means they could not share and work on the same translation memory?

Thanks for your input. I would like to contact SDL but it seems there's no way to reach them other than via e-mails and fill-in forms and I would actually like to talk to someone. Is there a hotline for future customers? A number I can call?

Thank you for your help.

Daniel García
English to Spanish
+ ...
in their website, they have contact information Jul 10, 2008

Thanks for your input. I would like to contact SDL but it seems there's no way to reach them other than via e-mails and fill-in forms and I would actually like to talk to someone. Is there a hotline for future customers? A number I can call?

Have you checked their website?

They have the addresses and telephone numbers from all offices:

http://www.sdl.com/en/company/locations/SDL_Paris__France_.asp

Telephone +33 (0)1 44 64 04 00 fax +33 (0)1 44 64 04 34
2-4 Cité de l'Ameublement
Paris
France

Daniel

ahmadwadan.com  Identity Verified
Kuwait
Local time: 09:17
English to Arabic
+ ...
Here is the optimum solution as I see Jul 10, 2008

Hi,

Purchase only 1 freelance license for the professional who is going to use Trados.

Since the secretary will just need to modify the TM so only what she needs is a TM editor (not Trados). I recommend Olifant (TM editor) which I personally use and find it great.

You can find Olifant here: http://www.translate.com/technology/tools/Olifant.html

Now, translator will just export TM to .txt or .tmx>>give it to secretary>>use Olifant for editing>>send updated TM to translator>>import updated TM>>done.

Kind regards
Ahmad Wadan

ghislandi  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:17
English to Italian
Freelance Licenese Jul 10, 2008

Hello,

I am from SDL Trados.

It is possible to install the SDL Trados 2007 Freelance on 2 machines.

The 2 machines must not be on the same network.
If they are on the same network only one will work at any one time, and you can not have the 2 copies running concurrently. If you already know that you will not ever use it at the same time this could be sufficient for you.

If you ever foresee using more than one license at the same time you should consider the professional license. The professional license offers also additional features, such as PerfectMatch for in-context matching.

Best regards
Massi

ShadedSkies
France
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
TM editor Jul 10, 2008

Ahmad Wadan wrote:

Hi,

Purchase only 1 freelance license for the professional who is going to use Trados.

Since the secretary will just need to modify the TM so only what she needs is a TM editor (not Trados). I recommend Olifant (TM editor) which I personally use and find it great.

You can find Olifant here: http://www.translate.com/technology/tools/Olifant.html

Now, translator will just export TM to .txt or .tmx>>give it to secretary>>use Olifant for editing>>send updated TM to translator>>import updated TM>>done.

Kind regards
Ahmad Wadan

Thanks for your reply. However, the translator's assistant doesn't need to modify the TM. She's actually the one who will have to import the TM into TRADOS because they need to build a TM from a huge amount of documents dating from 1994. The translator isn't used to working on screen so he will just use TRADOS as a support but will continue working orally like he does, and give the translations to his assistant so that she can type them. So I'm afraid a TM editor is of no use in that case.

I would really like to contact them, but it is extremely hard to get through to them.

Kuwait
English to Arabic
+ ...
One on & one off Jul 10, 2008

ShadedSkies wrote:

Thanks for your reply. However, the translator's assistant doesn't need to modify the TM. She's actually the one who will have to import the TM into TRADOS because they need to build a TM from a huge amount of documents dating from 1994. The translator isn't used to working on screen so he will just use TRADOS as a support but will continue working orally like he does, and give the translations to his assistant so that she can type them. So I'm afraid a TM editor is of no use in that case.

I would really like to contact them, but it is extremely hard to get through to them.

This way you can use 1 license by 2 persons but not at the same time as suggested by Massi.

Regards

Donesteve  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
+ ...
I have the same problem Jul 10, 2008

Actually, I have the same problem, I bought TRADOS freelance 2007 via Group Buy, and want to install it in my PC, my notebook, and another computer "at home".
Obviously it works perfectly in my PC, but the license it asks for while trying to install it in other PCs has more digits than the license I have...
I have purchased this product! and I want to use it in all devices that make up a 21st century office. I NEED to have it installed in at least my desktop PC and my notebook pc.
Any solutions, please???
thanks 2 all,
Carlos

ShadedSkies
France
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Working on the same TMs Jul 10, 2008

Ahmad Wadan wrote:

ShadedSkies wrote:

This way you can use 1 license by 2 persons but not at the same time as suggested by Massi.

Regards

Yes but I'm just having contradictory information. One person above said I could use 1 license on 2 computers but couldn't work on the same TMs and some other people are telling me it is possible to work on the same TMs. What I want to be sure of is if they can both work with the same shared TMs even if they have to work at different times (which is obviously not a problem).

Kuwait
English to Arabic
+ ...
TM is infinite regarding # of useres Jul 10, 2008

Yes but I'm just having contradictory information. One person above said I could use 1 license on 2 computers but couldn't work on the same TMs and some other people are telling me it is possible to work on the same TMs. What I want to be sure of is if they can both work with the same shared TMs even if they have to work at different times (which is obviously not a problem).

TM is infinite regarding # of users. Restriction is regarding using SDL Trados software by more than 1 at the same time for one singly license.

Regards

ShadedSkies
France
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thanks Jul 10, 2008

Ahmad Wadan wrote:

TM is infinite regarding # of users. Restriction is regarding using SDL Trados software by more than 1 at the same time for one singly license.

Regards

Okay. Thanks a lot!

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

License question for SDL TRADOS 7 Freelance

Advanced search

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search