Thread poster: Valérie Oliveira (X)

Valérie Oliveira (X)  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 20:15
French to Portuguese
+ ...
Jul 10, 2008

Hello everyone,

I would like to ask for your precious help regaring the following situation which is new to me...
I delivered some uncleaned (Trados 7) files to my client, and today I received only the .BAK file from the client in order to update my personalTM. Is this possible?

I am not sure if I can update my TM with only the .bak file from the client (because I usually receive the word document too...), and I don't know how to do it.

Do you have an idea for me please? I am thinking of asking my client for the doc files...

Thank you very much for your help.

Valérie

[Edited at 2008-07-10 10:27]

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 21:15
English to German
+ ...
Save the .bak as .doc and clean up Jul 10, 2008

Hi Valérie,
The .bak file is a Word file, so you can save it as .doc, and then run a cleanup.
You may want to think about cleaning it with an empty TM, exporting the TUs created and importing them into your personal TM - this gives you control over how you want to handle existing units.

HTH, Ralf

Portugal
French to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you very much! Jul 10, 2008

Hello Ralf,

Thank you very much for your extremely rapid answer and tips which help me a lot.
Now the procedure is clear to me.

Thank you and have a nice day!

Regards,

Valérie

[Edited at 2008-07-10 10:34]

Ulrike Kraemer
Germany
Local time: 21:15
English to German
+ ...
Simply open the BAK file in Word Jul 10, 2008

Ralf Lemster wrote:

Hi Valérie,
The .bak file is a Word file, so you can save it as .doc, and then run a cleanup.
You may want to think about cleaning it with an empty TM, exporting the TUs created and importing them into your personal TM - this gives you control over how you want to handle existing units.

HTH, Ralf

You can even open the BAK file in Word - no problem at all.

Portugal
French to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you littleBalu Jul 10, 2008

Thank you.

I will not forget these procedures.icon_wink.gif

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Updating TM from Bak files given by the client

Advanced search

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2019 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2019 has evolved to bring translators a brand new experience. Designed with user experience at its core, Studio 2019 transforms how new users get up and running and helps experienced users make the most of the powerful features.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search