Thread poster: Valérie Oliveira
Valérie Oliveira  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 17:08
French to Portuguese
+ ...
Jul 10, 2008

Hello everyone,

I would like to ask for your precious help regaring the following situation which is new to me...
I delivered some uncleaned (Trados 7) files to my client, and today I received only the .BAK file from the client in order to update my personalTM. Is this possible?

I am not sure if I can update my TM with only the .bak file from the client (because I usually receive the word document too...), and I don't know how to do it.

Do you have an idea for me please? I am thinking of asking my client for the doc files...

Thank you very much for your help.

Valérie

[Edited at 2008-07-10 10:27]

Direct link Reply with quote

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 18:08
English to German
+ ...
Save the .bak as .doc and clean up Jul 10, 2008

Hi Valérie,
The .bak file is a Word file, so you can save it as .doc, and then run a cleanup.
You may want to think about cleaning it with an empty TM, exporting the TUs created and importing them into your personal TM - this gives you control over how you want to handle existing units.

HTH, Ralf

Portugal
French to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you very much! Jul 10, 2008

Hello Ralf,

Thank you very much for your extremely rapid answer and tips which help me a lot.
Now the procedure is clear to me.

Thank you and have a nice day!

Regards,

Valérie

[Edited at 2008-07-10 10:34]

Ulrike Kraemer
Germany
Local time: 18:08
English to German
+ ...
Simply open the BAK file in Word Jul 10, 2008

Ralf Lemster wrote:

Hi Valérie,
The .bak file is a Word file, so you can save it as .doc, and then run a cleanup.
You may want to think about cleaning it with an empty TM, exporting the TUs created and importing them into your personal TM - this gives you control over how you want to handle existing units.

HTH, Ralf

You can even open the BAK file in Word - no problem at all.

Portugal
French to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you littleBalu Jul 10, 2008

Thank you.

I will not forget these procedures.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Updating TM from Bak files given by the client

Advanced search

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search