Problem editing terms in MultiTerm 7 imported from MT Convert
Thread poster: rthomas

rthomas  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:42
German to English
Jul 10, 2008

Hi there,

I've come across a problem that I can't seem to resolve through the existing ProZ forums or MultiTerm help.

I've imported a few terms from Excel into my German/English termbase using MultiTerm Convert. The conversion and import seemed to go ok, but I now can't edit the English parts of the entries that I've just added. When I now right-click on the English term and click Edit, the existing English term disappears and an empty box appears next to the field 'English'. If I re-enter the term in the new field and exit Edit mode, I then end up with two English versions of the same term.

It's probably relevant to mention that the English text is blue where I've added a new term via the Word interface or by entering it directly in MultiTerm, but black in the terms that I've imported via MT Convert. I should also mention that I'm able to edit the German text without any problems, regardless of how I created the entry.

I'm sure I've done something daft, but I can't work out what! Any help would be much appreciated...




Vito Smolej
Local time: 22:42
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
grasping for straws Jul 10, 2008

... but it could be something as stupid as "english" instead of "English", or "EN" instead of "EN_EN" in some inoccuous index field in Convert.


Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:42
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Converted index fields as descriptive fields? Jul 11, 2008

I'm just guessing, but something similar happened to me in the past, and the reason was that I had left some index field as descriptive field in the conversion process. You might want to redo the conversion and import if possible.

Vito is also right: Multiterm Convert is very picky about names of fields. You might want to double-check that the field names as defined in Excel are exactly the same (with no spaces before, after, same use of case...) than in the Multiterm termbase definition.


rthomas  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:42
German to English
working again now, but I don't know why! Jul 11, 2008

Thanks Vito, thanks Tomás...

I think the index/descriptive fields were defined correctly in MultiTerm Convert, as far as I can tell.

In the end I deleted the uneditable entries from my termbase (one at a time, though happily there were only twenty or so). I then exported the remaining entries to XML, created a new termbase and re-imported the XML file. When I then MultiTerm Convert-ed the same twenty entries and re-imported them, it worked fine and I can now edit the English terms.

All of which means that I still don't know what I did wrong, but maybe one day I'll understand.

Thanks again for your help.



To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Problem editing terms in MultiTerm 7 imported from MT Convert

Advanced search

BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2019 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2019 has evolved to bring translators a brand new experience. Designed with user experience at its core, Studio 2019 transforms how new users get up and running and helps experienced users make the most of the powerful features.

More info »

  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search