https://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/110236-workbench_skips_entire_tables_in_ms_word.html

Workbench skips entire tables in MS Word
Thread poster: Enrique Chi
Enrique Chi
Enrique Chi  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 13:26
Member (2015)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Jul 15, 2008

Hello, everyone:

I'm currently using MSWord from Office 2003, along with SDL Trados 2007 (that's Workbench version 8.3.0.835).

Some of our clients ask that we submit the translation via a table with two columns, the left column holds the source text, and the right column the target text. To translate files in this format, we simply format the left column with the TW4WinExternal character style provided by TRADOS, so Workbench will skip over the left column and stop onl
... See more
Hello, everyone:

I'm currently using MSWord from Office 2003, along with SDL Trados 2007 (that's Workbench version 8.3.0.835).

Some of our clients ask that we submit the translation via a table with two columns, the left column holds the source text, and the right column the target text. To translate files in this format, we simply format the left column with the TW4WinExternal character style provided by TRADOS, so Workbench will skip over the left column and stop only at text on the right column. Problem is, when you go to translate such a table, when you select "Open/Get", the cursor skips the entire table. The only way to translate the file is to place the cursor manually in each table cell, and then invoke Open/Get. Same results are obtained with "Translate to next fuzzy". It goes without saying that this is both time consuming and annoying.

At first I thought it was an incompatibility with Word 2003, but a friend of mine had the same setup, but Open/Get worked for him, until he upgraded to Trados 2007.

As far as I can tell, the problem manifests itself when the entire left column of a table is formatted with a style that Workbench ignores or skips over. This holds true with tables of more than two columns as well. Any ideas or solutions?

Thanks in advance,
Enrique
Collapse

Uldis Liepkalns
Uldis Liepkalns  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 21:26
Member (2003)
English to Latvian
+ ...
Workaround Jul 15, 2008

I have come across like and solved it very simply- copied the left column into new document and after translation and cleanup pasted the result in the right one. Much faster and simpler than to struggle with styles.

HTH,

Uldis

Enrique Chi wrote:
Some of our clients ask that we submit the translation via a table with two columns, the left column holds the source text, and the right column the target text.

Selcuk Akyuz
Selcuk Akyuz  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 21:26
English to Turkish
+ ...
Another solution Jul 15, 2008

Although many people do not like Tageditor, it is another solution in this case.

Enrique Chi
Enrique Chi  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 13:26
Member (2015)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Add text string in regular font to beginning of each cell in 1st column Jul 15, 2008

I've also resorted to copying the one column of translatable text to a new document, and using it to translate. That is a "quick and dirty" workaround, but there are instances in which it becomes a hassle. For example, sometimes our text extraction process will separate two segments that should be together (usually when the tech writer introduces an unnecesary hard return in the middle of a paragraph, or to separate a caption into two lines). Then, if you fix the segments in that new document, y... See more
I've also resorted to copying the one column of translatable text to a new document, and using it to translate. That is a "quick and dirty" workaround, but there are instances in which it becomes a hassle. For example, sometimes our text extraction process will separate two segments that should be together (usually when the tech writer introduces an unnecesary hard return in the middle of a paragraph, or to separate a caption into two lines). Then, if you fix the segments in that new document, you have to remember to fix it in the original as well.

We also use TagEditor extensively, just in some projects it's not practical, due to our particular workflow.

I did a little experimenting, and found that if the cells in the first column start with text that is in normal style, even if it's a non-translatable character, such as '\' or '#', then the Open/Get macro works correctly. So I wrote a macro to add a string of non-translatable text ("\####\") formatted with the default text style at the beginning of each cell in the first column. The first two trial runs of this macro worked well. Then at the end a simple search and replace gets rid of the string.

It's a bit messy, but that's a workable solution. I'd love to hear if there are any better solutions.

Regards,
Enrique
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Workbench skips entire tables in MS Word

Translation news related to SDL Trados

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »