Thread poster: xxxStrastran
xxxStrastran
France
Local time: 11:19
French to English
+ ...
Jul 20, 2008

Hi all

I have been growing increasingly frustrated with the Concordance feature in Trados 8.0, which seems determined to avoid bringing up translation segments created by me!

I am working on a project that is the follow-up to one I worked on several months ago, so I know for a fact that the segments are, or should be, in the TM in question. However, the terms or segments I want simply don't come up.

The TM is very large and I have re-organised it, then tried exporting it into a new, empty TM. The segments I want still don't come up.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I'd appreciate any pointers on this.

Many thanks

Patrick

Direct link Reply with quote

Dimitra Karamperi  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 12:19
English to Greek
+ ...
Search with keywords instead of sentences Jul 20, 2008

Hi Patrick,

Try searching with some keywords instead of whole sentences. Perhaps the sentences are between tags so the concordance feature cannot give you the exact segment you want.

You can also check in the exported txt TM (search-find) whether these segments are indeed there or not. Perhaps you are not looking in the right TM -- it happened to me once

Regards,
Dimitra

ViktoriaG  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 05:19
English to French
+ ...
What you type must be a 30% match - if not, it will not display Jul 20, 2008

Let's say you are looking for the word genius - you remember you already translated it and it should be in the TM. So, you type it in the Concordance window.

Nothing comes up. No matter what other words you add to the concordance search, it returns no result. Yet, you know that that word is in the memory. This is because the concordance function doesn't recognize segments that are below 30% similar to what you type in your search. In other words, if you are looking for a sentence that contains more than half a dozen words, and you only enter genius, chances are, it may not find it. So, if you are looking for the sentence The concordance feature of Trados is anything but genius, but you only type the word genius, it will not find anything. However, if you type the words genius, Trados and feature, it will find the translation unit because this amounts to at least a 30% match.

There is no workaround for this problem without using other software. If you want to be sure that you can search your TM extensively, try ApSic XBench. All you need to do is create a project, add your TM to it, and you're ready to go. It will let you search both source and target segments, you can search for single words or even word roots (enter do and it will find all occurrences of it as well as done, does, doing, etc.) and there is a handy power search function that will let you narrow down your results so you don't have to read through hundred of irrelevant matches. You can download XBench here: http://www.apsic.com/en/products_xbench.html. It's free.

xxxStrastran
France
Local time: 11:19
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Jul 24, 2008

Hi Dimitra and Viktoria,

Thanks a lot for your answers. I've not had time yet to try but will do so and keep you posted!

Thanks again

Patrick

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Segments not appearing when using Concordance

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
PDF Translation - the Easy Way
TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation.

TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation. It also puts your translations back into the PDF to make new PDFs. Quicker and more accurate than hand-editing PDF. Includes free use of Infix PDF Editor with your translated PDFs.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search