https://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/110737-how_to_install_multiterm_team_7_with_sql_express_2005.html

How to install Multiterm Team 7 with SQL Express 2005
Thread poster: kw7000
kw7000
kw7000
Local time: 18:07
English to German
Jul 22, 2008

Hi,

We recently bought the Synergy Starter Edition containing 5 licenses of SDL Trados 2007. The package also includes 5 licenses of Multiterm Team, which I guess enables you to share Translation Memories among our 5 Desktop Clients.

I have found no docs whatsoever, that would show me how to install Multiterm Team, connect it to a SQL Express 2005 Database and finally how I could connect our 5 clients to the database on the server.

I'd be very grateful for
... See more
Hi,

We recently bought the Synergy Starter Edition containing 5 licenses of SDL Trados 2007. The package also includes 5 licenses of Multiterm Team, which I guess enables you to share Translation Memories among our 5 Desktop Clients.

I have found no docs whatsoever, that would show me how to install Multiterm Team, connect it to a SQL Express 2005 Database and finally how I could connect our 5 clients to the database on the server.

I'd be very grateful for any hints, links, docs out there which would help towards install and configure

Thanks in advance

Kuno Weiss
Collapse

Daniel García
Daniel García
English to Spanish
+ ...
Are you sure that you can use SQL Server Express? Jul 22, 2008

Hi, Kuno,

Have a look at the MultiTerm User guide (MTUser_en.pdf). In this guide they say:

SDL MultiTerm Team supports JET termbases which are accessible by multiple users using the MultiTerm Server. It is designed for small teams.

In the MultiTerm team website there is no mention to SQL Express, either:

http://www.lspzone.com/en/products/terminology/sdlmultitermteam/

Are you sure that MultiTerm team can connect to an SQL Server Express?

Daniel

kw7000
kw7000
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
You have three topics to choose from Jul 22, 2008

Hi Daniel,

You actually can choose between Jet, Oracle and SQL but I prefer SQL. I'd love to post a screenshot but I'm afraid it's not possible.

Thanks for your reply,

Kuno

Daniel García
Daniel García
English to Spanish
+ ...
What error message are you getting? What does your manual say? Jul 22, 2008

kw7000 wrote:

Hi Daniel,

You actually can choose between Jet, Oracle and SQL but I prefer SQL. I'd love to post a screenshot but I'm afraid it's not possible.

Thanks for your reply,

Kuno

Hi, Kuno,

You say you can choose SQL. Do you get an error message when you select SQL or is the optino disabled?

I found the documentation for MultiTerm Team Edition and it explicitly says that it only supports Jet as database engine.

Doesn't it say the same in your documentation? What does it say?

The file I am looking at is called MTAdminTeam_en.pdf, Chapter 1, page 3:

"Database Engine
SDL MultiTerm Team uses the Microsoft Jet database engine as the back end of the system.
Termbases are stored centrally on the Jet engine and can be accessed by all team members. The Microsoft Jet Database Engine is installed as part of MultiTerm Team."

The whole MTAdminTeam_en.pdf does not mention SQL at all. Is it mentioned in your manual?

I doubt very much that you can get MultiTerm Team to work with SQL.

Maybe a quick call to SDL support will clarify the issue.

Daniel

kw7000
kw7000
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
The manual is not authoritative as far as SQL is concerned Jul 22, 2008

Hi Daniel,

Thanks again for replying. I was in contact with my TRADOS representative in Stuttgart and he explicitly explained that SQL is supported. He also said that the manuals are hopelessly outdated and that they're working to update them.

Thanks again for your time and reply,

Kuno

Daniel García
Daniel García
English to Spanish
+ ...
Glad it worked!!! Jul 22, 2008

kw7000 wrote:

Hi Daniel,

Thanks again for replying. I was in contact with my TRADOS representative in Stuttgart and he explicitly explained that SQL is supported. He also said that the manuals are hopelessly outdated and that they're working to update them.

Kuno

Ach, that's really very unimpresive! (I mean the manual)

But I am glad to be proved wrong and that they could help you out of the problem!

What did they advice? Was there anything in particular that you had to change?

Daniel

Optiproz Pri (X)
Optiproz Pri (X)
English
MT Team + SQL Database type = isn´t working Jul 22, 2008

kw7000 wrote:

Hi Daniel,

Kuno

Hi

Who exactly told you that MultiTerm Team is supporting SQL?

It´s definitly not!

The team editon does not support sever based termbases only file based (JET Engine).

Cheers

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to install Multiterm Team 7 with SQL Express 2005

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »