Query about Translation memory options- Penalties
Thread poster: xxxL10N expert
xxxL10N expert
Brazil
Local time: 20:15
English
Jul 23, 2008

Could someone help me to understand better the function Translation memory options- Penalties-Apply placeable penalty also when source tags differ?

The problem I have faced is the following: while providing a translation towords one and the same source text Press &H.MsgNo0008HK; two diverse variant of translation were done:

Press &H.MsgNo0008HK;.
Trykk &H.MsgNo0008HK;.
Press &H.MsgNo0008HK;.
Trykk på &H.MsgNo0008HK;.

As in the options [Allow multiple translations for identical source segments] was switched on both translations entered the memory. When I used this memory to pretranslate completely new text where the same sentence was used I assumed that as [Multiple translation penalty is set as 3%:], Placeable differences penalty 2% (other settings are 0%) and check inserted for Apply placeable penalty also when source tags differ, as the result I had to receive two multiple translations as fuzzy match what did not take place and only one translation variant was inserted as 100% match.
If I would like to have multiple translations as fuzzy match should I do not insert check for [Apply placeable penalty also when source tags differ]??? Or is there any other, better way?

Thank you for your help in advance!

P.S I`m using Trados 7.5

Direct link Reply with quote

Vito Smolej
Germany
Local time: 00:15
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
checking question Jul 23, 2008

when you open the segment:

Press {hardkey}&H.MsgNo0008HK;{/hardkey}.

do you get multiple (i.e. two) translations?

It could just as well be, that only one (the latest) translation was kept, for whatever reasons.

regards

Vito

xxxL10N expert
Brazil
Local time: 20:15
English
TOPIC STARTER
Query about Translation memory options-Penalties Jul 24, 2008

Vito Smolej wrote:

when you open the segment:

Press {hardkey}&H.MsgNo0008HK;{/hardkey}.

do you get multiple (i.e. two) translations?

It could just as well be, that only one (the latest) translation was kept, for whatever reasons.

regards

Vito

Dear Vito,
Thank you for your reply.

When I open the segment I get only one translation variant,what should i do to get both?

Kind regards,
Valeriya

Katalin Horváth McClure  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 18:15
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Workbench little left-right arrows? Jul 24, 2008

I am not sure I understand the problem, but if you are saying that you have multiple matches in the TM but you can only see one in the Workbench window, then please check next to the percentage figure on the left part of the Workbench window. If you see arrows to the right or left or both, click on them, those will step you through the multiple matches.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Query about Translation memory options- Penalties

Advanced search

LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »
BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search