Veronica Svanström
Veronica Svanström
Romania
Local time: 12:27
German to Romanian
+ ...
Jul 23, 2008

Hello everyone!

I have a problem with a translation in TagEditor, to which i have to add some FrameMaker tags.
In the original, there are some words which are not bold but that the client wants to be bold in the target. And for this he told me to add the appropriate FrameMaker tags.
I have to admit i have never worked with FrameMaker before, so i was wondering if there is anyone here who can give me at least a hint about what i should do.
I work with TagEditor 7.5
... See more
Hello everyone!

I have a problem with a translation in TagEditor, to which i have to add some FrameMaker tags.
In the original, there are some words which are not bold but that the client wants to be bold in the target. And for this he told me to add the appropriate FrameMaker tags.
I have to admit i have never worked with FrameMaker before, so i was wondering if there is anyone here who can give me at least a hint about what i should do.
I work with TagEditor 7.5, the source document is a .rtf document and the client mentioned something about "EnglishTerm", this being the tag that i should add.

Thank you very much in advance for your help!

Best regards,
Veronica Constantinescu
Collapse

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 11:27
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Aren't they STagger files? Jul 23, 2008

I assume the files you are working on are STagger files (you can see that because they start with an External tag containing "".

If this is the case, my advice is that you make any change in the RTF file and not in TagEditor. As for what tags to use to make a text bold, I'd check the online help of STagger, if you have this tool in your Trados licence (I think you probably do).

Veronica Svanström
Veronica Svanström
Romania
Local time: 12:27
German to Romanian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Many thanks! Jul 23, 2008

Thank you very much, Tomas. Your answer was really helpful.

Best regards,
Veronica

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)
Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 16:27
English to Thai
+ ...
Tags in Framemaker files are dreadful Jul 23, 2008

I rarely change a MIF, RTF or TTX files related to FrameMaker.
Reason:
1. Trados use complicate steps to translate FrameMaker file.
2. You need S-taggeer for FrameMaker in trados.
3. FM>MIF>STF>RTF (text+ancillary)>TTX>RTF>STF>MIF>FM conversions are needed (sorry about using extensions without explaining. I hope you know since you are using FrameMaker + Trados)
4. If you carelessly change tags in TTX (TagEditor file), you may not convert files sucesssfully in step 3
... See more
I rarely change a MIF, RTF or TTX files related to FrameMaker.
Reason:
1. Trados use complicate steps to translate FrameMaker file.
2. You need S-taggeer for FrameMaker in trados.
3. FM>MIF>STF>RTF (text+ancillary)>TTX>RTF>STF>MIF>FM conversions are needed (sorry about using extensions without explaining. I hope you know since you are using FrameMaker + Trados)
4. If you carelessly change tags in TTX (TagEditor file), you may not convert files sucesssfully in step 3.
5. I did not test, but bold tag in TTX may or may not cause trouble above. I pefer editing in MIF or FM files.

Regards,
SL
Collapse

Wojciech Froelich
Wojciech Froelich  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 11:27
English to Polish
Simply bold? Jul 23, 2008

If you want simply make the text bold, you can insert <:b> and <:/b> tags (Edit > Insert Tag).
If your client wants to use some specific tags that will make the text bold, you have to be provided with detailed instructions (this might be related to some character styles defined in the FrameMaker document).

Soonthon - I disagree. Strongly.
1. All CAT tools operate on MIF files, so Trados isn't much more complicated than any other CAT tool on the market.
... See more
If you want simply make the text bold, you can insert <:b> and <:/b> tags (Edit > Insert Tag).
If your client wants to use some specific tags that will make the text bold, you have to be provided with detailed instructions (this might be related to some character styles defined in the FrameMaker document).

Soonthon - I disagree. Strongly.
1. All CAT tools operate on MIF files, so Trados isn't much more complicated than any other CAT tool on the market.
2. You don't need S-Tagger to translate the FrameMaker files prepared by your client.
3. Why such complicated workflow? FM > MIF > TTX > MIF > FM
4. That's why you have to use Tag Checkers in Tag Editor. There is generic one and the special one for S-Tagger files.
5. This generic bold tag will be properly converted.

Believe me, translating in S-Tagged TTX files is much simpler than dealing with FrameMaker files

[Edited at 2008-07-23 22:19]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Adding FrameMaker tags to TagEditor

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »