8005: The Microsoft Word document cannot be opended because it is protected
Thread poster: Renata Swigonska

Renata Swigonska  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 20:04
English to Polish
+ ...
Jul 31, 2008

When trying to open Word file in Tag Editor, I receive following message: 8005: 'The Microsoft Word document cannot be opended because it is protected'

Do you know how to open Word file in Tag Editor despite the protection? Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance,

Renata Świgońska

Direct link Reply with quote

Francesca Pesce  Identity Verified
Member (2006)
English to Italian
+ ...
I don't know about Tag Editor, but... Jul 31, 2008

I have no clue about Tag Editor, but if the Word file ("A") is protected, open it in Read only mode, select all, copy and then paste onto a new file ("B"). Save the B file with a new name and at this point you should have the contents of the old protected "A" file in the new "B" file, perfectly usable, readable and not protected.

Hope it helps.

Francesca

Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
How to open the protected Word file in Read only mode? Jul 31, 2008

Francesca,

Thank you very much for your advice. It might be very helpful, but how to open the protected Word file in Read only mode? Do you know maybe?

Thanks for your support,

RS

Francesca Pesce  Identity Verified
Member (2006)
English to Italian
+ ...
What I do Jul 31, 2008

Renata,

if I encounter a protected file, when I attempt to open it, it says that I need a password, or something similar. If you don't know the password, you can click on "read only". So the file opens, you can see it but you cannot save any changes you make.

Even if this does not apply to your case, just open the file in Word, select the whole document, copy it and then paste it into a new file.

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Open the file in Word Jul 31, 2008

Remove protection there.
If the file is password protected, ask the autor for the password or use some of password recovery software you find on the Internet, when googled.
Or if the file is simply write protected in the system change this attribute via any file manager you may wish. To do so select the file name, right click on it and unselect "write protection".

MGL  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Russian to English
what works for me Jul 31, 2008

Open a new file in Word.

Click on the Insert menu, and choose "Insert file."

Choose your protected file to be inserted.

Voila, file without protection. Save.

Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
It works ! Jul 31, 2008

Megan,

Amazing, how simple but it works. Excellent, thanks to all of you for support and engagement.

Best regards,

Renata

MGL  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Russian to English
hooray! Jul 31, 2008

Renata Swigonska wrote:

Megan,

Amazing, how simple but it works. Excellent, thanks to all of you for support and engagement.

Best regards,

Renata

Glad it worked for you, too!

tectranslate ITS GmbH
German
+ ...
Another approach Aug 1, 2008

Megan Lehmann wrote:

Open a new file in Word.

Click on the Insert menu, and choose "Insert file."

Choose your protected file to be inserted.

Voila, file without protection. Save.

I'm afraid that won't always work quite the way you'd like - I just tested it with a random file in Word XP (2002) and a lot of the formatting was lost (fonts, pictures...)

The copy-paste-all method might just work, though.

I just crack those files by saving them as RTF, then opening them in a text editor, e.g. Windows Notepad, and replacing the (encrypted) password with either nothing or a string that matches a password I know.

That may sound complicated, but all you have to do is make a file that is protected with a password of your choosing and copy over the encrypted password string from that. Just search the RTF file for "pass" and you'll find that string surrounded by quotation marks. Replace it and you'll be able to open the file in Word, unprotect it with your password and save it as a Word .doc file again. (Tech note: It's just a very insecure encryption algorithm because it uses the same seed for all files.)

This also works when the file as such is not write-protected, but only certain sections are editable, like with electronic forms where you can fill in the blanks. You cannot copy-and-paste the contents of the whole document in these cases.

HTH,
Benjamin

[Edited at 2008-08-01 20:38]

tectranslate ITS GmbH
German
+ ...
Correction / Amendment Aug 5, 2008

The string is actually not in quotation marks:
{\*\password 1acc4a51}}

is the string for the password abc.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

8005: The Microsoft Word document cannot be opended because it is protected

Advanced search

SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search