Thread poster: Eleni Makantani

Eleni Makantani
Greece
Local time: 21:02
English to Greek
+ ...
Aug 1, 2008

Hello,

I have just undertaken a large project with many Word files and I am trying to manage it. In order to know what I'm doing, I need to do a correct wordcount. The first thing that I want to comment is that there is a difference of about 4000 words between MS Word wordcount and Trados analysis. Therefore, how reliable is Trados analysis and how can I really know how big my project is? Have you got a method or a tool for this? If Trados is not reliable, what can I do?

Thank you.

[Edited at 2008-08-01 11:05]

Direct link Reply with quote

Wojciech Froelich  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 20:02
English to Polish
Rule #1 Aug 1, 2008

Eleni Makantani wrote:

The first thing that I want to comment is that there is a difference of about 4000 words between MS Word wordcount and Trados analysis.

Rule #1 - do not believe Word wordcounts. If you choose TTX workflow for Word files, you can be pretty sure that your analysis is correct (you have to remember that Trados will not create segments from single numerical values, so if you have to deal with a lot of tables that need change due to the different thousands separator etc., you will have to do it manually in final translated Word file).

Eleni Makantani
Greece
English to Greek
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
That makes sense Aug 1, 2008

Thank you, Wojciech,

Therefore the difference is own to numbers in the texts? That could make sense.

Thank you!

Emilio Gironda  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:02
English to Spanish
+ ...
Practicount&Invoice Aug 2, 2008

Try this tool lovely Eleni: Practicount & Invoice (http://www.practiline.com/), it happens to be very reliable and supports several different formats; I agree with Wojciech, Word wordcounts are NOT reliable.

EmGi/PERU

Eleni Makantani
Greece
English to Greek
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
4000 words :) Aug 3, 2008

Thank you, kind Emilio. I tried Practicount and I need to say that it gave me 4000 words more than MS Word wordcount, which in turn was 4000 higher than Trados wordcount!!! It seems that this will be the magic number of my project!!!

Emilio Gironda  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:02
English to Spanish
+ ...
Here is... Aug 3, 2008

...another one: Translators' Abacus from GlobalRendering:

http://www.globalrendering.com/download.html

...the best of all, gourgeus lady, it's free!

Give it a try,

EmGi/PERU

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Help with wordcount

Advanced search

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search