https://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/111728-translation_fee_for_100_match.html

translation fee for 100% match?
Thread poster: FionaNg
FionaNg
FionaNg
Local time: 15:45
English
Aug 4, 2008

Hi

I have this analysis report as below:

Match Types Segments Words Percent Placeables
Context TM 0 0 0 0
Repetitions 11 130 1 14
100% 1,973 8,788 66 2,994
95% - 99% 3 103 1 3
85% - 94% 23 335 3 16
75% - 84% 48 456 3 53
50% -
... See more
Hi

I have this analysis report as below:

Match Types Segments Words Percent Placeables
Context TM 0 0 0 0
Repetitions 11 130 1 14
100% 1,973 8,788 66 2,994
95% - 99% 3 103 1 3
85% - 94% 23 335 3 16
75% - 84% 48 456 3 53
50% - 74% 168 1,323 10 209
No Match 154 2,114 16 207
Total 2,380 13,249 100 3,496

My 100% match is 8,788 words, this is from our base. Why some of the translators will charge for this 100% match? Is this should be charge?

Kindly advise. Thanks.

Fiona
Collapse

Erik Hansson
Erik Hansson  Identity Verified
Germany
Swedish
+ ...
Analysis only contains statistics Aug 4, 2008

Hello Fiona,

There is good reason why these 100 % match (and also repetitions) should be charged for.
In most languages on this earth, it is seldom that one word has only one meaning, and the "100 % match" from a sentence on page 1 might not apply on page 2, as there is another context.

It is also a matter of grammar. In comparison to English, there are many other languages who have different verb forms depending on singular/plural, if infinitive or imperative a
... See more
Hello Fiona,

There is good reason why these 100 % match (and also repetitions) should be charged for.
In most languages on this earth, it is seldom that one word has only one meaning, and the "100 % match" from a sentence on page 1 might not apply on page 2, as there is another context.

It is also a matter of grammar. In comparison to English, there are many other languages who have different verb forms depending on singular/plural, if infinitive or imperative and so on. In some languages you don't have single prepositions but integrate them to a noun, e.g. one word for "table", one word for "on the table" and another word for "under the table".

I could give you many more arguments for charging these 100 % matches..

Regards
Erik
Collapse

Antoní­n Otáhal
Antoní­n Otáhal
Local time: 09:45
Member (2005)
English to Czech
+ ...
Yes and no Aug 4, 2008

In theory, I of course agree. In practice, there are quite a few agencies which simply refuse to pay for 100% matches. You can refuse to work for those, of course, but my compromise is that I make it clear I do not read 100% matches I am not paid for, hence cannot ensure any consistency with them; and unless it is a continuing cooperation where I was the originator of the 100% matches, I refuse jobs with a lot of unpaid 100% matches and "just a little work on no matches" - such jobs usually turn... See more
In theory, I of course agree. In practice, there are quite a few agencies which simply refuse to pay for 100% matches. You can refuse to work for those, of course, but my compromise is that I make it clear I do not read 100% matches I am not paid for, hence cannot ensure any consistency with them; and unless it is a continuing cooperation where I was the originator of the 100% matches, I refuse jobs with a lot of unpaid 100% matches and "just a little work on no matches" - such jobs usually turn out to be nightmarish and not worth the fee.

Antonin
Collapse

Aabam
Aabam
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
Yes and No (like Antonín) Aug 4, 2008

Hi Fiona,

We, as an agency, always pay our translators for 100% matches (at 5% of the full rate). It is true that most of the times they should not be touched but when there are a lot of them, the program takes some time to validate them. There are file which have 300 new words and 13500 100% matches. In that case, although it is something quick, the translator can take longer because of the 100%.

Anyway, we pay for 100% matches. The only two exceptions:
- when a
... See more
Hi Fiona,

We, as an agency, always pay our translators for 100% matches (at 5% of the full rate). It is true that most of the times they should not be touched but when there are a lot of them, the program takes some time to validate them. There are file which have 300 new words and 13500 100% matches. In that case, although it is something quick, the translator can take longer because of the 100%.

- when a translator has made the TM from the beginning and the 100% matches have been always translated by him/her.
- when our client does not pay for them. (unfortunately, some clients are very unwilling to pay for them)

Regards,
MJ
Collapse

Riccardo Schiaffino
Riccardo Schiaffino  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 01:45
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
5% is an extremely low rate for 100% matches Aug 4, 2008

aabam wrote:

Hi Fiona,

- when a translator has made the TM from the beginning and the 100% matches have been always translated by him/her.
- when our client does not pay for them. (unfortunately, some clients are very unwilling to pay for them)

Regards,
MJ

5% of the full rate is extremely low.

We normally pay (and get paid by out customers) about 20 to 25% of our base rate for 100% matches and repetitions. The exception is if the 100% match cannot be touched at all, because the customer (a larger translation company) has taken care of blocking them.

In that case I accept not to be paid for the 100% - because they don't slow me down.

Alexey Ivanov
Alexey Ivanov  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 10:45
English to Russian
Hear, hear! Aug 4, 2008

I completely agree with Ricardo. 5% is extremely low for 100% matches for the reasons correctly described by Erik. Please also note, that when editing/proofreading in Trados TagEditor perfect 100% matches in reality often have tag differences with the original and you have to edit them anyway. So, a sensible approach, if you want a quality translation, would be to ask the translator/proofreader/editor to review the 100% matches in any case. In my view, the fair price is minimum 20% as Riardo su... See more
I completely agree with Ricardo. 5% is extremely low for 100% matches for the reasons correctly described by Erik. Please also note, that when editing/proofreading in Trados TagEditor perfect 100% matches in reality often have tag differences with the original and you have to edit them anyway. So, a sensible approach, if you want a quality translation, would be to ask the translator/proofreader/editor to review the 100% matches in any case. In my view, the fair price is minimum 20% as Riardo suggests. One of my clients pays me 25% for 100% matches/repetitions, Some offer 10% for them and some others insist on paying nothing for them but then, I agree to take such jobs where the client insists on not paying forthe 100% matches only on condition that I don't read them. I believe they sacrifice quality saving peanuts. It is not wise. But it is their decision, I feel myself responsible onlyfor the text I translated/edited/proofred, and I don't feel any obligation to educate such clients - it's a waste of time, because the PMs with whom you deal cannot divert fromthe the policy set by the CEO.

[Edited at 2008-08-04 17:51]
Collapse

Daniel García
Daniel García
English to Spanish
+ ...
If it means work, you have to pay Aug 4, 2008

My 100% match is 8,788 words, this is from our base. Why some of the translators will charge for this 100% match? Is this should be charge?

Kindly advise. Thanks.

Fiona

Well, translators charge for anything that implies work.

Normally, 100% matches involve three different tasks:

a) Retrieving them from the translation memory.

b) Reviewing in the document

c) Saving the reviewed version in the translation memory.

In addition, when you perform certain checks (like the spell checker) in the whole document, the 100% matches will be checked (more work).

All these tasks require time and this time has to be paid for.

If you don't want to pay for the 100% matches you can send the translators ONLY the new and fuzzy matches, and when you get those back, you can insert the 100% matches yourself.

If you feel it will be too time-consuming for you to insert all the 100% matches in large project with, perhaps, many different languages, some of which you cannot read, you will understand why translators charge for that.

Daniel

FionaNg
FionaNg
Local time: 15:45
English
TOPIC STARTER
after run fuzzy Aug 5, 2008

Thanks for all your replies.

I do understand, but if i have run fuzzy, mean i have done the tag differences editing and have reviewed the segment, the translator no need to review agian and no need to edit the tag differences. The translator only need to run fuzzy and stop on the no match segment.

If so, still need to charge for 100% match?

Kindly advise. Thanks.

Fiona

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Time is money Aug 5, 2008

Fiona,

I do understand, but if i have run fuzzy, mean i have done the tag differences editing and have reviewed the segment, the translator no need to review agian and no need to edit the tag differences. The translator only need to run fuzzy and stop on the no match segment.

Running Translate to Fuzzy takes time (in fact, it can take a lot of time on large files); if these translation units no longer need to be checked, edited, or changed, why don't you use ContextTM to lock them?

If so, still need to charge for 100% match?

Yes, of course. Processing 100% matches takes time, and should be paid for adequately. (Note that I outsource myself - I would never ask anyone to process 100% matches for free.)

Best regards,
Ralf

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

translation fee for 100% match?

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »