¿Can you force segmentation of numbers in Trados 7.5?
Thread poster: Paula Serrano

Paula Serrano  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 13:07
English to Spanish
+ ...
Aug 4, 2008

Hi, all. I am new to Trados, and I have a question. I need Trados to include certain numbers (followed by the degree symbol) in the segments I have to translate. For example, for the phrase "60º slope", I only get "slope", and "60º" is ignored. What should I do to get numbers with the "º" symbol included as part of the segments? I see in the manual it should be done at the Setup window, but I can't figure out exactly how. Wordfast has a "force segmentation" function, but I don't think Trados has anything like it, does it?
Huge thanks in advance,

Paula

Direct link Reply with quote

Mette Melchior  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 18:07
English to Danish
+ ...
Insert non-breaking space Sep 13, 2009

Hi Paula,

I just stumbled over your post since I was looking for an answer to the same question, and in another thread in this forum another user suggests that the problem can be solved by inserting non-breaking spaces (Ctrl+Shift+Space).

See: http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/6593-trados_how_to_include_internal_tags_before_translatable_text.html

There might be an easier way to do this, but this works.

- If anybody out there knows of a better way to deal with this, please share

Best regards,

Mette

[Edited at 2009-09-13 16:42 GMT]

KSL Berlin  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 17:07
Member (2003)
German to English
+ ...
MemoQ Sep 13, 2009

Use MemoQ to process the pre-segmented Trados file and specify that unsegmented content (like numbers) is to be imported as well.

Mette Melchior  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 18:07
English to Danish
+ ...
Thank you for the tip! Sep 15, 2009

I have no experience with MemoQ but have been wanting to check it out for some time. Maybe now would be a good time...

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

¿Can you force segmentation of numbers in Trados 7.5?

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search