https://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/111736-how_to_best_write_external_updates_to_the_translation_memory.html

How to best write external updates to the translation memory?
Thread poster: USER0059 (X)
USER0059 (X)
USER0059 (X)  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 16:42
English to Finnish
+ ...
Aug 4, 2008

A happy Monday to all,

Please assume that you have translated a document—e.g. a Microsoft Word one—in TagEditor 8.0.0.826. Now you want to have it reviewed, after which you will want to incorporate the changes with your translation memory, preferably without resorting to WinAlign.

What is the best way to go about this? As I understand it, if one has saved the translation as a target file, then one can no longer use the cleanup tool to write reviewer changes to the m
... See more
A happy Monday to all,

Please assume that you have translated a document—e.g. a Microsoft Word one—in TagEditor 8.0.0.826. Now you want to have it reviewed, after which you will want to incorporate the changes with your translation memory, preferably without resorting to WinAlign.

What is the best way to go about this? As I understand it, if one has saved the translation as a target file, then one can no longer use the cleanup tool to write reviewer changes to the memory, as the source data is missing.
Collapse

Katarina Berger
Katarina Berger  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 15:42
Member (2008)
English to German
+ ...
Compare documents? Aug 4, 2008

Do you still have one old version of the document containing the source text?
If so, use word's "compare documents" option. Then accept the amendments to update the old version to the current one. Afterwards, you can use translators workbench's cleanup.

Kind regards

Nina Berger

USER0059 (X)
Finland
English to Finnish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks, NinaBerger! Aug 4, 2008

NinaBerger wrote:

Do you still have one old version of the document containing the source text?
If so, use word's "compare documents" option. Then accept the amendments to update the old version to the current one. Afterwards, you can use translators workbench's cleanup.

Thank you! I will try that.

With kind regards,

Thor Kottelin

Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Local time: 15:42
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Bilingual document and Changes in the target are not the safest way to do it Aug 4, 2008

Using WinAlign is not THAT bad, it's a safe proposition and usually (my experience) there's no need to check the segments - they fall in place right away.

The alternative is to change the bilingual document into a two-column word file (with PlusToyZ) and the hide the source/left-hand column. Once you get the file back, the right-hand side will be corrected, you accept/refuse changes and then change the two-column file back into a bilingual rtf or doc.

USER0059 (X)
Finland
English to Finnish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you, Vito Smolej Aug 4, 2008

Vito Smolej wrote:

Using WinAlign is not THAT bad, it's a safe proposition and usually (my experience) there's no need to check the segments - they fall in place right away.

The alternative is to change the bilingual document into a two-column word file (with PlusToyZ) and the hide the source/left-hand column. Once you get the file back, the right-hand side will be corrected, you accept/refuse changes and then change the two-column file back into a bilingual rtf or doc.

Thank you!

I will think about the PlusToyZ option. Unfortunately, I find WinAlign rather slow.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to best write external updates to the translation memory?

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »