Translating charts in TRADOS
Thread poster: silviantonia

silviantonia  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 01:06
English to Spanish
+ ...
Aug 5, 2008

I can't "see" the green/blue lines to translate charts. I am translating a very long (185 pp) document on electrical systems, FR-EN, and there are any number of charts... I can't seem to translate them. I don't know if I am not pressing the right thing so I can access them and translate them as well...

Can anyone help, please?

Direct link Reply with quote

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 10:06
English to German
+ ...
More details, please Aug 5, 2008

Hi Silviantonia,
As requested on the form used to post a new topic, please provide some essential background information:

- Which Trados version do you use?
- Which file format are you working in?
- If it's Word: are you translating in Word, or in TagEditor?
- What format are the charts? Are they embedded in the file you're working in? Can you edit the text in the charts?

Also, it's not clear what you mean by "green/blue" lines - are you referring to source and target segments?

Help us to help you...

Best regards,
Ralf

United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Answers Aug 5, 2008

The Trados is 2007; I am translating in Word, the blue/green does refer to source/target. The charts are embedded. I suppose I could edit the charts, but then it would not become part of the TM...

Germany
English to German
+ ...
Graphics? Aug 5, 2008

Hi again,
The charts are embedded.

So they are graphics files, presumably - which you cannot edit in Word: for the same reason, Workbench does not recognise them as translatable text. If these are embedded PowerPoint slides, for example, you could try to extract them and translate them in TagEditor.

Best regards,
Ralf

United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
So would I have to export them? Aug 6, 2008

And translate the text as a separate file?

Germany
English to German
+ ...
Depends on the format Aug 6, 2008

silviantonia wrote:

And translate the text as a separate file?

...if they're JPEG files, for example, you won't be able to export anything. (Hence my earlier question as to whether you can actually edit the charts in Word. (If you can edit them in Word, you could use T-Window for Clipboard.)

Best, Ralf

United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Not jpeg! Aug 7, 2008

I translated the charts 'inside' the charts, without creating a TM. At least they are translated... Thank you for everything!

xxxBrandis
English to German
+ ...
This sounds like an OLE problem. Aug 8, 2008

Hi! OLE ( Object linking and embedding). These several components may come as graphics, excel sheets, or visio diagrams. Trados usually does not catch these issues. I remember I had one such issue a few months ago. On the surface I felt I had translated everything, but after cleaning the .ppt, the situation was clear. So I had agreed on hourly rate for manual finish with the OS and did the rest without trados. Hope that helps. BR Brandis

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translating charts in TRADOS

Advanced search

BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
PDF Translation - the Easy Way
TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation.

TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation. It also puts your translations back into the PDF to make new PDFs. Quicker and more accurate than hand-editing PDF. Includes free use of Infix PDF Editor with your translated PDFs.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search